The Forest of Forever

    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 28, 2003
      There's a 1971 novel by Thomas Burnett Swann called _The Forest of Forever_.

    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 28, 2003
        There's a 1971 novel by Thomas Burnett Swann called _The Forest of
        Forever_. >>

        Yes! Yes! Wendell I think that's it! I do suspect however that you
        furnish this information following some websearch, and not from glancing at
        your own book shelves ? Or am I wrong?

        I'll look it up later! Thanks so much!

        Lizzie Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 28, 2003
          In a message dated 9/28/2003 7:49:45 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
          lizziewriter@... writes:

          > I do suspect however that you
          > furnish this information following some websearch, and not from glancing at
          > your own book shelves ?

          Well, um, actually, I did just glance at my own bookshelves. It's another of
          those books I bought years ago (heck, decades ago) and have never gotten
          around to reading. Having glanced at the title every time I moved or resuffled my
          books, I remembered the name. But, yes, I would have done a websearch if I
          hadn't happened to have owned the book.

        • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 29, 2003
            Well, um, actually, I did just glance at my own bookshelves. It's another
            of
            those books I bought years ago (heck, decades ago) and have never gotten
            around to reading. Having glanced at the title every time I moved or
            resuffled my
            books, I remembered the name. But, yes, I would have done a websearch if I
            hadn't happened to have owned the book. >>

            Oh Wendell! :-))) And I thought you totally abhorred "silly". It's a
            quick read... what else do you have in that genre? What else exists?

            Lizzie Triano
            lizziewriter@...
            amor vincit omnia
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 29, 2003
              In a message dated 9/29/2003 7:07:34 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
              lizziewriter@... writes:

              > And I thought you totally abhorred "silly".

              I'm trying to guess why you think I don't like silliness. I like silliness
              in a novel. I'm sometimes bothered by silliness in a E-mail message or a
              mailing list post if the cutesiness of the message makes it hard to read. I really
              dislike it when someone tries to pass off as silliness in a message or a post
              something that is actually snide flippency, the point of which is to make fun
              of someone and then to blame them for not getting the joke if they complain.
              If I don't do silliness in my posts, that's mostly because I can't do it
              naturally. I can sometimes do elaborate absurd humor in a post, but I have to be
              careful about it, because half the time people don't understand that I'm
              joking and get mad about what they think is an offensive remark.

              But are Thomas Burnett Swann's novels silly? I've never read any of them,
              but that's not how I've heard them described. I'd list all of his novels, but
              I've got to leave for work immediately and don't have time to look them up.

            • alexeik@aol.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 29, 2003
                In a message dated 9/29/3 3:35:25 PM, Wendell wrote:

                <<But are Thomas Burnett Swann's novels silly? I've never read any of them,
                but that's not how I've heard them described.>>

                I think it would depend a great deal on the individual reader's tastes. Many
                of Swann's stories (especially the earlier ones) can come across as a bit
                saccharine. The ones I thought were most successful were _How Are the Mighty
                Fallen_ (a fantasy version of the David and Jonathan story) and _Wolfwinter_.
                Alexei
              • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 30, 2003
                  But are Thomas Burnett Swann's novels silly? I've never read any of them,
                  but that's not how I've heard them described. I'd list all of his novels,
                  but
                  I've got to leave for work immediately and don't have time to look them up.

                  So how HAVE you heard them described ?? Now I must know.

                  I am dying to look him up on abebooks or some such, but then I'd probably
                  order some, and I really can't do that right now. I will check in the used
                  book shops in person when I go in a week or so, then I will be having an
                  excuse to shop.

                  Lizzie Triano
                  lizziewriter@...
                  amor vincit omnia
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
                    In a message dated 9/30/2003 11:35:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                    lizziewriter@... writes:

                    > So how HAVE you heard them described ?? Now I must know.

                    Some of the things I've read said that the novels were about how the "old
                    gods" were better. In other words, they were saying that the Greek and Roman
                    gods were better than anything we have today.

                    Wendell

                  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
                      Some of the things I've read said that the novels were about how the "old
                      gods" were better. In other words, they were saying that the Greek and
                      Roman
                      gods were better than anything we have today. >>

                      Considering how ticked I am at organized religion at the moment, I'd be
                      vulnerable to that line of argument -- except that it would have to be
                      another set of gods. I am thinking a basic nature spirituality might work
                      nicely.

                      But seriously, maybe some of his other books were more mainstream novel
                      types. I can't imagine _Forest of Forever_ carrying any such argument.
                      But maybe, as a teen, I missed that level of meaning.

                      Lizzie Triano
                      lizziewriter@...
                      amor vincit omnia
                    • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
                        I'm getting more curious about this book; the title's intriguing, and it's
                        going to be interesting to find out how "silly" it is. Oh, well, I'm going
                        to the library anyway . . . . ---djb

                        http://mail2web.com/ .
                      • alexeik@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
                          In a message dated 10/1/3 12:27:11 PM, Lizzie Triano wrote:

                          <<But seriously, maybe some of his other books were more mainstream novel
                          types. I can't imagine _Forest of Forever_ carrying any such argument.

                          No, not really. His work is pretty much all of a piece, although, as I
                          mentioned, his earlier work tended to be lighter and more sentimental than his later
                          work. The message in his books -- if it could be called something as strong
                          as that -- is that the world of Classical mythological creatures was a place
                          for guilt-free sex, and as such far superior to Puritanical Christianity (one
                          can easily see how, if one takes this seriously enough, it can come across as
                          "silly"). However (with a very few exceptions), he usually avoids making this
                          point too earnestly or heavily.
                          Alexei
                        • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
                            No, not really. His work is pretty much all of a piece, although, as I
                            mentioned, his earlier work tended to be lighter and more sentimental than
                            his later
                            work. The message in his books -- if it could be called something as strong
                            as that -- is that the world of Classical mythological creatures was a
                            place
                            for guilt-free sex, and as such far superior to Puritanical Christianity
                            (one
                            can easily see how, if one takes this seriously enough, it can come across
                            as
                            "silly"). However (with a very few exceptions), he usually avoids making
                            this
                            point too earnestly or heavily. >>

                            Which is not a bad thing certainly! Some otherwise wonderful series
                            (serieses?) have been derailed by the author's love for his or her
                            "message". Like that Holy Mole in the Duncton books, and I"m not sure
                            quite what in Lawhead's Arthurian tales.

                            I wonder, if you followed up some of these dryads and satyrs in later
                            years, if the heartaches and diseases from their guilt-free sex might give
                            a little common sense room to enter? Or I suppose they are all sharing
                            their tales of woe in some dark, smoky honky-tonk.

                            Lizzie Triano
                            lizziewriter@...
                            amor vincit omnia
                          • Kevin Bowring
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
                              Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:

                              > Some of the things I've read said that the novels were about how the "old
                              > gods" were better. In other words, they were saying that the Greek and
                              > Roman
                              > gods were better than anything we have today. >>
                              >
                              > Considering how ticked I am at organized religion at the moment, I'd be
                              > vulnerable to that line of argument -- except that it would have to be
                              > another set of gods. I am thinking a basic nature spirituality might work
                              > nicely.

                              I understand about being "ticked" at organized religion, but I don't think I
                              would really like gods whose actions are suitable for the front pages of the
                              tabloids.

                              Cheers,
                              Kevin
                            • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 2, 2003
                                I understand about being "ticked" at organized religion, but I don't think I
                                would really like gods whose actions are suitable for the front pages of the
                                tabloids. >>

                                Oh you're right of course; in a deity as well as a spouse, I prefer mystery
                                to entertainment. But as you pointed out in another post about another
                                subject, sometimes sheer entertainment value is a healthy thing too.

                                Lizzie Triano
                                lizziewriter@...
                                amor vincit omnia