letter 45

  • odzer@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 28 12:10 AM
      "People in this land seem not even to realize yet that in the Germans we
      have enemies whose virtues (and they are virtues) of obedience and
      patriotism are greater than ours in the mass. Whose brave men are just
      about as brave as ours. Whose industry is about ten times greater. And
      who are - under the curse of God - now led by a man inspired by a mad,
      whirlwind, devil: a typhoon, a passion: that makes the poor old Kaiser
      look like an old woman knitting."

      "Yet I suppose I know better than most what is the truth about this
      'Nordic' nonsense. Anyway, I have in this War a burning private
      grudge - which would probably make me a better soldier at 49 than I was
      at 22: against that ruddy little ignoramus Adolf Hitler (for the odd
      thing about demonic inspiration and impetus is that it in no way
      enhances the purely intellectual stature: it chiefly affects the mere
      will. Ruining, perverting, misapplying, and making for ever accursed,
      that noble northern spirit, a supreme contribution to Europe which I
      have ever loved, and tried to present in its true light."

      from 45

      happened to have a fuller excerpt of that at hand....

      enjoy,

      John