Re: [mythsoc] OCLC's "Library Hotel" action

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 27, 2003
      At 05:11 PM 9/26/2003 , Jack wrote:

      >>Ditto. Even if it is way too expensive for a library of my size.
      >>Bibliofile is more in our range.
      >
      >Sigh... Small correx. I meant that they didn't know that OCLC was
      >responsible for Dewey. It
      >was a small public library -- I doubt they do enough specailied indexing to
      >pay attemtion to all
      >of the OCLC mofications to Dewey.

      OK, that makes much more sense. I didn't know OCLC owned Dewey either. I
      remember reading that the firm had been sold some years back, but I either
      missed or forgot to whom.

      But there are no "OCLC modifications to Dewey". The schedules are
      re-issued in updated versions occasionally - I see that the 22nd edition
      has just come out. Each individual library is free to tinker with the
      schedules if they want, and indeed the schedules provide some alternatives.
      (e.g. biography and fiction can be classed with subject numbers - for
      fiction, the literature numbers - or separately)

      >BTW most readers never notice what publisher does what book!

      I may not remember who publishes which book, but I've still heard of the
      major publishers.

      - David Bratman