Re: [mythsoc] Digest Number 1362

  • Matthew Williams
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 26, 2003
      > A librarian who's never heard of OCLC is a new one on me. That's like ...
      > a fantasy reader who'd never heard of Tor or Del Rey would be a mild
      > comparison. An Earthling who'd never heard of the United States is more
      > like it.

      Ditto. Even if it is way too expensive for a library of my size.
      Bibliofile is more in our range.

      Matt
    • Jack
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 26, 2003
        >Ditto. Even if it is way too expensive for a library of my size.
        >Bibliofile is more in our range.

        Sigh... Small correx. I meant that they didn't know that OCLC was
        responsible for Dewey. It
        was a small public library -- I doubt they do enough specailied indexing to
        pay attemtion to all
        of the OCLC mofications to Dewey.

        BTW most readers never notice what publisher does what book!

      • David S. Bratman
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 27, 2003
          At 05:11 PM 9/26/2003 , Jack wrote:

          >>Ditto. Even if it is way too expensive for a library of my size.
          >>Bibliofile is more in our range.
          >
          >Sigh... Small correx. I meant that they didn't know that OCLC was
          >responsible for Dewey. It
          >was a small public library -- I doubt they do enough specailied indexing to
          >pay attemtion to all
          >of the OCLC mofications to Dewey.

          OK, that makes much more sense. I didn't know OCLC owned Dewey either. I
          remember reading that the firm had been sold some years back, but I either
          missed or forgot to whom.

          But there are no "OCLC modifications to Dewey". The schedules are
          re-issued in updated versions occasionally - I see that the 22nd edition
          has just come out. Each individual library is free to tinker with the
          schedules if they want, and indeed the schedules provide some alternatives.
          (e.g. biography and fiction can be classed with subject numbers - for
          fiction, the literature numbers - or separately)

          >BTW most readers never notice what publisher does what book!

          I may not remember who publishes which book, but I've still heard of the
          major publishers.

          - David Bratman