Re: [mythsoc] Neil Gaiman, Writer Guest of Honor at Mythcon 2004

  • juliet@firinn.org
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 26, 2003
      On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 08:57:37AM -0400, Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:
      > Oh he's the genius behind the Sandman graphic novels? I had friends who
      > were into them.... brrr. I'd give him a pass entirely, except that
      > _Coraline_ looked kind of intriguing at the bookshop.

      His _Stardust_ is on my short list of rereadables. I liked _Neverwhere_
      too, but am not in a hurry to read it again. It was just a shade darker
      than what I usually like.

      Julie
    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 26, 2003
        Lizzie, what don't you like about Sandman? >>

        well, it was a long time ago, a dozen years or so, but I think it was a
        combination of the aesthetic style, which didn't appeal to me personally,
        and the dark storyline. My friends, who owned a comic book/gaming shop,
        loved it to pieces.

        I liked Gaiman's NEVERWHERE novel, though it was plenty scary. His STARDUST
        story, wh won a MFA, irritated me by putting irrelevant, explicit sex
        scenes into a Tolkienesque fairy tale which would otherwise have been great
        for the whole family. >>

        Yes I am working on my thoughts about sex scenes. Personally I like them,
        but they are adult material and it does narrow the scope of readership. I
        am just starting on Judith Tarr's _White Mare's Daughter_, barely into it,
        and it has very explicit sex. Even though it is not so much titillating
        (at least not to me) as probably supposed to be atmosphere or something,
        still I would now not recommend it to young readers, or even some older
        ones (I'd rather not know my parents read this stuff). It used to be it
        was hard to find sex in fantasy, now it is almost everywhere. I'm not sure
        what I think about that. Does fantasy now need to have warning stickers
        like pop music does?

        There was a book once, MAYBE called _The Forest of Forever_ and maybe not.
        Anyway it had frolicsome nymphs and suchlike, and it never got terribly
        graphic but the intent was there. It was very light hearted and I'm sorry
        to have lost my copy. Anyone remember it?

        Lizzie Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia
      • Stolzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 27, 2003
          In a message dated 9/26/2003 7:18:15 PM Central Daylight Time,
          lizziewriter@... writes:

          > It used to be it
          > was hard to find sex in fantasy, now it is almost everywhere.

          Maybe we could retro-fit some older books.

          I'm thinking Mr and Mrs Beaver here...

          Diamond Proudbrook

        • Deidre
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 28, 2003
            At 01:41 PM 9/27/03 +0000, you wrote:
            >Message: 8
            > Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 20:17:08 -0400
            > From: "Elizabeth Apgar Triano" <lizziewriter@...>
            >Subject: Re: Neil Gaiman, Writer Guest of Honor at Mythcon 2004
            >
            >Lizzie, what don't you like about Sandman? >>
            >
            >well, it was a long time ago, a dozen years or so, but I think it was a
            >combination of the aesthetic style, which didn't appeal to me personally,
            >and the dark storyline. My friends, who owned a comic book/gaming shop,
            >loved it to pieces.

            Ah, well, different strokes for different folks.

            >I liked Gaiman's NEVERWHERE novel, though it was plenty scary.

            The BBC is finally putting the series out on video/DVD, or so I heard at
            Dragoncon.

            > His STARDUST
            >story, wh won a MFA, irritated me by putting irrelevant, explicit sex
            >scenes into a Tolkienesque fairy tale which would otherwise have been great
            >for the whole family. >>
            >
            >Yes I am working on my thoughts about sex scenes. Personally I like them,
            >but they are adult material and it does narrow the scope of readership.

            Curiosity has killed the cat and compels me to ask if either of you have
            read only the novel, or if either of you have read the graphic novel, with
            wonderful illos by Charles Vess?

            >There was a book once, MAYBE called _The Forest of Forever_ and maybe not.
            >Anyway it had frolicsome nymphs and suchlike, and it never got terribly
            >graphic but the intent was there. It was very light hearted and I'm sorry
            >to have lost my copy. Anyone remember it?

            Sounds familiar. You could look for it on Ebay or ABE. Don't remember the
            author, alas.

            HTH,
            Deidre
          • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 28, 2003
              Curiosity has killed the cat and compels me to ask if either of you have
              read only the novel, or if either of you have read the graphic novel, with
              wonderful illos by Charles Vess? >>

              Nope haven't read any Gaiman, just looked at some of the Sandman stuff
              while browsing as it were, around 1991 must have been, and never actually
              read any. Just talked to some fans.

              Lizzie Triano
              lizziewriter@...
              amor vincit omnia
            • Jack
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 28, 2003
                >Curiosity has killed the cat and compels me to ask if either of you have
                >read only the novel, or if either of you have read the graphic novel, with
                >wonderful illos by Charles Vess? >>

                Both. The Vess version actually works very well, but I prefer the novel itself.

                Vess and Charles de Lint have been working on a seriues of illustrated
                novels (Seven Wild Sisters.
                A Circle of Cats are the two so far) which make good use of the two mediums.

              • Mark Hall
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 28, 2003
                  > >I liked Gaiman's NEVERWHERE novel, though it was plenty scary.
                  >
                  > The BBC is finally putting the series out on video/DVD, or so I heard at
                  > Dragoncon.

                  Its out as a two disc DVD version. Picked mine up via Amazon.
                  The narration by Gaiman for every episode [a feature] gets a bit tiresome
                  after awhile; I can only deal with it on for episode at a time.

                  Best, MEH

                  --
                  Mark Hall
                  Niigata Prefectural Museum of History

                  <>
                • Stolzi@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 28, 2003
                    In a message dated 9/28/2003 4:56:09 AM Central Daylight Time,
                    deidre@... writes:

                    > Curiosity has killed the cat and compels me to ask if either of you have
                    > read only the novel, or if either of you have read the graphic novel, with
                    > wonderful illos by Charles Vess?

                    I read the novel and also I saw and glanced through the graphic novel.

                    Diamond Proudbrook