Neil Gaiman, Writer Guest of Honor at Mythcon 2004

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 25, 2003
      Neil Gaiman gets Main Article Spot on Salon.com Today

      http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2003/09/25/gaiman/index.html

      Diamond Proudbrook

    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 26, 2003
        Oh he's the genius behind the Sandman graphic novels? I had friends who
        were into them.... brrr. I'd give him a pass entirely, except that
        _Coraline_ looked kind of intriguing at the bookshop.

        Lizzie Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia
      • Stolzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 26, 2003
          In a message dated 9/26/2003 7:59:27 AM Central Daylight Time,
          lizziewriter@... writes:

          > Oh he's the genius behind the Sandman graphic novels? I had friends who
          > were into them.... brrr. I'd give him a pass entirely, except that
          > _Coraline_ looked kind of intriguing at the bookshop.

          Lizzie, what don't you like about Sandman?

          I liked Gaiman's NEVERWHERE novel, though it was plenty scary. His STARDUST
          story, wh won a MFA, irritated me by putting irrelevant, explicit sex scenes
          into a Tolkienesque fairy tale which would otherwise have been great for the
          whole family.

          Diamond Proudbrook

        • juliet@firinn.org
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 26, 2003
            On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 08:57:37AM -0400, Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:
            > Oh he's the genius behind the Sandman graphic novels? I had friends who
            > were into them.... brrr. I'd give him a pass entirely, except that
            > _Coraline_ looked kind of intriguing at the bookshop.

            His _Stardust_ is on my short list of rereadables. I liked _Neverwhere_
            too, but am not in a hurry to read it again. It was just a shade darker
            than what I usually like.

            Julie
          • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 26, 2003
              Lizzie, what don't you like about Sandman? >>

              well, it was a long time ago, a dozen years or so, but I think it was a
              combination of the aesthetic style, which didn't appeal to me personally,
              and the dark storyline. My friends, who owned a comic book/gaming shop,
              loved it to pieces.

              I liked Gaiman's NEVERWHERE novel, though it was plenty scary. His STARDUST
              story, wh won a MFA, irritated me by putting irrelevant, explicit sex
              scenes into a Tolkienesque fairy tale which would otherwise have been great
              for the whole family. >>

              Yes I am working on my thoughts about sex scenes. Personally I like them,
              but they are adult material and it does narrow the scope of readership. I
              am just starting on Judith Tarr's _White Mare's Daughter_, barely into it,
              and it has very explicit sex. Even though it is not so much titillating
              (at least not to me) as probably supposed to be atmosphere or something,
              still I would now not recommend it to young readers, or even some older
              ones (I'd rather not know my parents read this stuff). It used to be it
              was hard to find sex in fantasy, now it is almost everywhere. I'm not sure
              what I think about that. Does fantasy now need to have warning stickers
              like pop music does?

              There was a book once, MAYBE called _The Forest of Forever_ and maybe not.
              Anyway it had frolicsome nymphs and suchlike, and it never got terribly
              graphic but the intent was there. It was very light hearted and I'm sorry
              to have lost my copy. Anyone remember it?

              Lizzie Triano
              lizziewriter@...
              amor vincit omnia
            • Stolzi@aol.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 27, 2003
                In a message dated 9/26/2003 7:18:15 PM Central Daylight Time,
                lizziewriter@... writes:

                > It used to be it
                > was hard to find sex in fantasy, now it is almost everywhere.

                Maybe we could retro-fit some older books.

                I'm thinking Mr and Mrs Beaver here...

                Diamond Proudbrook

              • Deidre
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 28, 2003
                  At 01:41 PM 9/27/03 +0000, you wrote:
                  >Message: 8
                  > Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 20:17:08 -0400
                  > From: "Elizabeth Apgar Triano" <lizziewriter@...>
                  >Subject: Re: Neil Gaiman, Writer Guest of Honor at Mythcon 2004
                  >
                  >Lizzie, what don't you like about Sandman? >>
                  >
                  >well, it was a long time ago, a dozen years or so, but I think it was a
                  >combination of the aesthetic style, which didn't appeal to me personally,
                  >and the dark storyline. My friends, who owned a comic book/gaming shop,
                  >loved it to pieces.

                  Ah, well, different strokes for different folks.

                  >I liked Gaiman's NEVERWHERE novel, though it was plenty scary.

                  The BBC is finally putting the series out on video/DVD, or so I heard at
                  Dragoncon.

                  > His STARDUST
                  >story, wh won a MFA, irritated me by putting irrelevant, explicit sex
                  >scenes into a Tolkienesque fairy tale which would otherwise have been great
                  >for the whole family. >>
                  >
                  >Yes I am working on my thoughts about sex scenes. Personally I like them,
                  >but they are adult material and it does narrow the scope of readership.

                  Curiosity has killed the cat and compels me to ask if either of you have
                  read only the novel, or if either of you have read the graphic novel, with
                  wonderful illos by Charles Vess?

                  >There was a book once, MAYBE called _The Forest of Forever_ and maybe not.
                  >Anyway it had frolicsome nymphs and suchlike, and it never got terribly
                  >graphic but the intent was there. It was very light hearted and I'm sorry
                  >to have lost my copy. Anyone remember it?

                  Sounds familiar. You could look for it on Ebay or ABE. Don't remember the
                  author, alas.

                  HTH,
                  Deidre
                • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 28, 2003
                    Curiosity has killed the cat and compels me to ask if either of you have
                    read only the novel, or if either of you have read the graphic novel, with
                    wonderful illos by Charles Vess? >>

                    Nope haven't read any Gaiman, just looked at some of the Sandman stuff
                    while browsing as it were, around 1991 must have been, and never actually
                    read any. Just talked to some fans.

                    Lizzie Triano
                    lizziewriter@...
                    amor vincit omnia
                  • Jack
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 28, 2003
                      >Curiosity has killed the cat and compels me to ask if either of you have
                      >read only the novel, or if either of you have read the graphic novel, with
                      >wonderful illos by Charles Vess? >>

                      Both. The Vess version actually works very well, but I prefer the novel itself.

                      Vess and Charles de Lint have been working on a seriues of illustrated
                      novels (Seven Wild Sisters.
                      A Circle of Cats are the two so far) which make good use of the two mediums.

                    • Mark Hall
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 28, 2003
                        > >I liked Gaiman's NEVERWHERE novel, though it was plenty scary.
                        >
                        > The BBC is finally putting the series out on video/DVD, or so I heard at
                        > Dragoncon.

                        Its out as a two disc DVD version. Picked mine up via Amazon.
                        The narration by Gaiman for every episode [a feature] gets a bit tiresome
                        after awhile; I can only deal with it on for episode at a time.

                        Best, MEH

                        --
                        Mark Hall
                        Niigata Prefectural Museum of History

                        <>
                      • Stolzi@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 28, 2003
                          In a message dated 9/28/2003 4:56:09 AM Central Daylight Time,
                          deidre@... writes:

                          > Curiosity has killed the cat and compels me to ask if either of you have
                          > read only the novel, or if either of you have read the graphic novel, with
                          > wonderful illos by Charles Vess?

                          I read the novel and also I saw and glanced through the graphic novel.

                          Diamond Proudbrook