Re: [SPAM:#] RE: [mythsoc] Dewey Decimal Owner Sues 'Library' Hotel

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 23, 2003
      I'd rather guess that the LC classification is in the public domain. For
      one thing: Private companies, as well as LC itself, publish editions of it
      in book form, with various enhancements.

      All books cataloged by LC are given LC call numbers, which anyone is free
      to use. In many books they can be found in the "cataloging in publication"
      data, on the verso of the title page. Or, you can look them (and the rest
      of the LC cataloging record) up online in the LC catalog at catalog.loc.gov
      which is completely free - anyone can use it.

      What's more, for some years LC has also supplied Dewey classification
      numbers as a courtesy for those libraries that use Dewey. These can be
      found in the same places as the LC numbers, and if OCLC thinks they can
      stop anybody from using them, they need to join the RIAA.

      In the spirit of disseminating as much info into the public domain as
      possible: if you want to use a Dewey number from an LC record, know that -
      1) If present, it's found in the "Full Record" display. (I'm not sending
      non-professionals to the MARC tags display, Janet: it'd only make their
      heads hurt.)
      2) Slashes in the number are not part of the number; they're markers for
      logical places to cut the number short if you don't need the full number
      (smaller libraries often don't). Delete the slashes, and either cut the
      number off there, or don't cut it.
      3) A two-digit number at the end after a space, "21" or lower, is not part
      of the number either. It's the edition of DDC that was used. It only
      appears in relatively recent records, I think. New editions of old books
      sometimes have different numbers from old editions, because of DDC revisions.
      4) A "B" before the edition number isn't part of the number either. It
      means "Biography" and is to be used instead of the number if you want to
      keep all your biographical books together.
      5) A DDC number only indicates classification. How you create call numbers
      for individual books, indicating author or main entry, is up to you: first
      three letters of the author's surname, alphanumerical systems, whatever.

      If you want to use LC classification numbers, you need to learn the system
      - it's much more complicated.

      - David Bratman