Re: Lewis's _Essay Collection and Other Short Pieces_

  • Joe R. Christopher
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 18, 2003
      David wrote:
      >This was news to me. According to amazon.co.uk, this is a 1024 page
      >hardcover from Fount whose full title is "Essay Collection and Other Short
      >Pieces". What's not clear is whether its contents are fully contained in
      >two 400+ page softcovers from HarperCollins (Fount is a HarperCollins
      >imprint) titled "Essay Collection: Literature, Philosophy, and Short
      >Stories" and "Essay Collection: Faith, Christianity, and the Church." The
      >descriptions online say the latter two books have over 60 and over 50
      >pieces each, so I wonder if the literature one includes Lewis's more
      >technical scholarly essays from "Selected Literary Essays" as well as his
      >pieces from "On Stories" and maybe even the ephemera from "Present Concerns".

      I don't know about the two _Essay Collections_ in paperback, but I have
      _Essay Collection and Other Short Pieces_ in hardcover. It does not have
      _Selected Literary Essay_ nor _Studies in Medieval and Renaissance
      Literature_--and only some of the essays from _Rehabilitations and Other
      Essays_--but it seems to be complete otherwise. (I have not gone through
      every book, to check, obviously.) The items are numbered in the book, and
      the total is 135. They are arranged in sections (not by the original books):
      1. The Search for God (1-9)
      2. Aspects of Faith (10-33)
      3. The Christian in the World (34-52)
      4. The Church (53-55)
      5. English and Literature (56-67)
      6. The Art of Writing and the Gifts of Writers (68-83)
      7. Education and History (84-98)
      8. Philosophical Thoughts (99-108)
      9. Some Everyday Thoughts (109-117)
      10. Letters (118-129)
      11. Short Stories (130-135)
      The headnote to each piece tells where it was first published and what
      book(s) it appears in. So far as I am aware, there is nothing not
      previously published in book form in it--certainly the editor (Leslie
      Walmsley) does not point to anything in his introduction. (Wasn't there an
      essay originally published in French that was translated and published in
      _The Canadian C. S. Lewis Journal_ that hasn't been collected? Possibly
      there are a few other items.) Probably by mistake, Walter Hooper's note
      about "The Dark Tower" is reproduced after "The Dark Tower." (I say
      "probably by mistake" because the editor, in his headnote, refers the
      reader to _"The Dark Tower" and Other Stories_ for the note.)

      --Joe