Re: [mythsoc] Interesting book finds

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 17, 2003
      At 02:23 AM 9/17/2003 , WendellWag@... wrote:
      >I'm over here in England at the moment to attend Oxonmoot, the annual
      >get-together of the Tolkien Society in Oxford. I've discovered a couple of
      >interesting things searching through bookshops. The first is that there's a
      >hardback by Lewis in print over here (and, I guess, not available in the
      >U.S.) called _Essay Collection_. It has all of Lewis's essays and short
      >stories in one volume.

      This was news to me. According to amazon.co.uk, this is a 1024 page
      hardcover from Fount whose full title is "Essay Collection and Other Short
      Pieces". What's not clear is whether its contents are fully contained in
      two 400+ page softcovers from HarperCollins (Fount is a HarperCollins
      imprint) titled "Essay Collection: Literature, Philosophy, and Short
      Stories" and "Essay Collection: Faith, Christianity, and the Church." The
      descriptions online say the latter two books have over 60 and over 50
      pieces each, so I wonder if the literature one includes Lewis's more
      technical scholarly essays from "Selected Literary Essays" as well as his
      pieces from "On Stories" and maybe even the ephemera from "Present Concerns".

      >The other thing I just discovered is that a used bookstore called
      >Waterfield's (on High Street in Oxford) is selling Owen Barfield's personal
      >library. I picked out eight books, but there's lots left. I've got to run
      >to the bank to pull out the £95 to pay for these eight books.

      A certain quantity of Owen Barfield's personal library wound up in the
      hands of the Wade Center at Wheaton, though I don't know on what basis they
      were selected.

      Waterfield's is an excellent used book store, probably the best in Oxford
      (Blackwell's may be the finest _new_ book store in the world, but their
      used book selection is no more than very good), certainly so now that
      Thornton's has closed up and become an online presence only.

      - David Bratman
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 17, 2003
        One more interesting thing I discovered while flipping through the books from Owen Barfield's library. One of them is a book that John Rateliff gave Owen Barfield as a present in 1991. (John is a long-time Mythopoeic Society member, for those of you who don't know him.)

        Wendell Wagner
      • David S. Bratman
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 17, 2003
          At 11:46 AM 9/17/2003 , WendellWag@... wrote:
          >One more interesting thing I discovered while flipping through the books
          >from Owen Barfield's library. One of them is a book that John Rateliff gave
          >Owen Barfield as a present in 1991. (John is a long-time Mythopoeic Society
          >member, for those of you who don't know him.)

          That's interesting, because I recall that there's also at least one book
          inscribed by John Rateliff to Barfield in the Wade's collection of books
          from Barfield's library. I really do wonder how the books were sorted and
          distributed.

          - David Bratman