Interesting book finds

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 17, 2003
      I'm over here in England at the moment to attend Oxonmoot, the annual get-together of the Tolkien Society in Oxford. I've discovered a couple of interesting things searching through bookshops. The first is that there's a hardback by Lewis in print over here (and, I guess, not available in the U.S.) called _Essay Collection_. It has all of Lewis's essays and short stories in one volume.

      The other thing I just discovered is that a used bookstore called Waterfield's (on High Street in Oxford) is selling Owen Barfield's personal library. I picked out eight books, but there's lots left. I've got to run to the bank to pull out the £95 to pay for these eight books.

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 17, 2003
        I'm over here in England at the moment to attend Oxonmoot, the annual get-together of the Tolkien Society in Oxford. I've discovered a couple of interesting things searching through bookshops. The first is that there's a hardback by Lewis in print over here (and, I guess, not available in the U.S.) called _Essay Collection_. It has all of Lewis's essays and short stories in one volume.

        The other thing I just discovered is that a used bookstore called Waterfield's (on High Street in Oxford) is selling Owen Barfield's personal library. I picked out eight books, but there's lots left. I've got to run to the bank to pull out the £95 to pay for these eight books.

        Wendell Wagner
      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 17, 2003
          Oooh Wendell you lucky dog! Enjoy enjoy !

          Lizzie Triano
          lizziewriter@...
          amor vincit omnia
        • dianejoy@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 17, 2003
            Wendell: How wonderful to get to go bookstore hopping in Oxford. Have a
            great time! ---djb

            Oooh Wendell you lucky dog! Enjoy enjoy !

            Lizzie Triano
            lizziewriter@...
            amor vincit omnia

            http://mail2web.com/ .
          • David S. Bratman
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 17, 2003
              At 02:23 AM 9/17/2003 , WendellWag@... wrote:
              >I'm over here in England at the moment to attend Oxonmoot, the annual
              >get-together of the Tolkien Society in Oxford. I've discovered a couple of
              >interesting things searching through bookshops. The first is that there's a
              >hardback by Lewis in print over here (and, I guess, not available in the
              >U.S.) called _Essay Collection_. It has all of Lewis's essays and short
              >stories in one volume.

              This was news to me. According to amazon.co.uk, this is a 1024 page
              hardcover from Fount whose full title is "Essay Collection and Other Short
              Pieces". What's not clear is whether its contents are fully contained in
              two 400+ page softcovers from HarperCollins (Fount is a HarperCollins
              imprint) titled "Essay Collection: Literature, Philosophy, and Short
              Stories" and "Essay Collection: Faith, Christianity, and the Church." The
              descriptions online say the latter two books have over 60 and over 50
              pieces each, so I wonder if the literature one includes Lewis's more
              technical scholarly essays from "Selected Literary Essays" as well as his
              pieces from "On Stories" and maybe even the ephemera from "Present Concerns".

              >The other thing I just discovered is that a used bookstore called
              >Waterfield's (on High Street in Oxford) is selling Owen Barfield's personal
              >library. I picked out eight books, but there's lots left. I've got to run
              >to the bank to pull out the £95 to pay for these eight books.

              A certain quantity of Owen Barfield's personal library wound up in the
              hands of the Wade Center at Wheaton, though I don't know on what basis they
              were selected.

              Waterfield's is an excellent used book store, probably the best in Oxford
              (Blackwell's may be the finest _new_ book store in the world, but their
              used book selection is no more than very good), certainly so now that
              Thornton's has closed up and become an online presence only.

              - David Bratman
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 17, 2003
                One more interesting thing I discovered while flipping through the books from Owen Barfield's library. One of them is a book that John Rateliff gave Owen Barfield as a present in 1991. (John is a long-time Mythopoeic Society member, for those of you who don't know him.)

                Wendell Wagner
              • David S. Bratman
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 17, 2003
                  At 11:46 AM 9/17/2003 , WendellWag@... wrote:
                  >One more interesting thing I discovered while flipping through the books
                  >from Owen Barfield's library. One of them is a book that John Rateliff gave
                  >Owen Barfield as a present in 1991. (John is a long-time Mythopoeic Society
                  >member, for those of you who don't know him.)

                  That's interesting, because I recall that there's also at least one book
                  inscribed by John Rateliff to Barfield in the Wade's collection of books
                  from Barfield's library. I really do wonder how the books were sorted and
                  distributed.

                  - David Bratman