RE: [mythsoc] Andromeda

  • darancgrissom@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 8, 2003
      It was't renewed. Its original contract was for three years, of which this
      year is the third. However, given its status as the number one sci fi show
      in the world it will probably continue for at least a fourth.
      In trying to write about them as characters the most interesting one I have
      found was Andromeda. The idea of a ship as a character and member of the
      crew is not new to science fiction, though giving it a personality and a
      voice all its own is. Lexa Doig, I think that's the actresses name, has
      done a wonderful job portraying what you'd think a warship made flesh would
      be like. I also like Trance Gemini in that she is science fiction. She
      represents an infinity of possible futures. good and bad, and is trying to
      direct the outcome of the "known worlds" to the perfect possible future she
      knows must be there but can't quite see. Oh, yes. The "Hunks" name is Tier
      Anasazi.
      From: darancgrissom@...
      Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 02:23:29 -0700
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [mythsoc] Andromeda

      I have recently begun work on an essay that talks about the series Gene
      Roddenbery's "Andromeda." This television show is, in my opinion, quite
      good, despite some production problems and cost cutting special effects
      reusage. My question, which is rather open, is how does the members of
      this
      list, those that have seen it, feel about it? Mostly in regards the
      character types selected for the main cast; Dylan Hunt, Becka Valentine,
      Trans Gemini, etc. I know that a few people on this list are Babylon 5
      fans. Please do not compare in that I know that show was better. Please
      feel free to compare it to any other sci fi show past or present

      http://mail2web.com/ .

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • Steve Schaper
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 8, 2003
        Daran,

        Andromeda started out with potential, until Minnesota native "Dylan
        Hunt" sent them packing for being too intelligent.

        Then there was a year when the scripts were just -horrible-, and they
        got rid of The Long Dark beginning, which has a nice tradition in SF.
        Hunt is the least interesting character, the others, including the
        departed Rev. BEM were much better.

        There were some signs that the story arc is back, and that is a good
        thing, but they are still using made up quotes at the beginning, instead
        of historical quotes that tied into the story and made you think, as
        they had previously done.

        The show is an interesting critique of Randroidism, but the only
        alternative they offer is the lame Trek humanism.
      • Bill
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 8, 2003
          It's my understanding the show is already renewed

        • dianejoy@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 9, 2003
            Ack! How could I forget "Tir Anasazi?" I hate having memory holes! [DJB
            takes a moment to contemplate the image of Tir, sighs with contentment.]
            Ah, now I feel so much better!

            [Except you've got to consider what a total *Jerk* he would be to live
            with!]

            I, too, liked the idea of the ship as a character. I haven't figured
            Trance out yet; I'd love to see an ep which concentrates on her and shows
            us just what did happen when she changed! If I missed that this year, let
            me know.