Re: [mythsoc] Tolkien chronologies

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 8, 2003
      At 01:42 PM 9/8/2003 , Steve Schaper wrote:
      >I was under the impression that Tolkien wrote his own chronologies,
      >published in the appendices and in HoME. . .

      Yes, and that is why Perry had an uphill job of convincing the Tolkien
      estate that he had some original intellectual contributions to make to the
      subject.

      (The "Annals" in HoME are of limited help in dealing with the 1977
      Silmarillion, however. Their facts often differ from its facts,
      differences of great significance for chronology purposes.)

      - David Bratman