Re: [mythsoc] Audio Books: Read or Listen?

  • SusanPal@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 7, 2003
      In a message dated 9/7/2003 12:16:20 PM Pacific Standard Time,
      dbratman@... writes:

      > I just read this comment from an
      > interview with Michael Hingson, a blind man who calmly hitched up his guide
      > dog and walked downstairs out of the World Trade Center on that tragic
      > day.

      The 9/11 guide-dog story I heard was about a blind man who, in all the chaos,
      assumed that he'd never be able to get out (he was on a pretty high floor),
      but who unhitched his dog so it could get out. The dog started to bolt in
      panic -- but then stopped, turned around, came back to its person, and guided him
      down to safety.

      Is this the same person?

      Susan

    • David S Bratman
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 7, 2003
        At 04:38 PM 9/7/2003 -0400, Susan wrote:

        >The 9/11 guide-dog story I heard was about a blind man who, in all the chaos,
        >assumed that he'd never be able to get out (he was on a pretty high floor),
        >but who unhitched his dog so it could get out. The dog started to bolt in
        >panic -- but then stopped, turned around, came back to its person, and
        >guided him
        >down to safety.
        >
        >Is this the same person?

        I think it's the same person, but if so, the story you heard seems to have
        been distorted. In the versions I've read, the dog wasn't released,
        because she wasn't on duty at the time. (Hingson was working and hadn't
        been planning on going anywhere for a while, and the dog was napping.) She
        didn't bolt away and come back for him, but had jumped up ready to go at
        the moment the plane hit the tower.

        - David Bratman