Interesting things in the latest issue of _The Lewis Legacy_

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 7, 2003
      There were several interesting things mentioned in the latest issue of
      Kathryn Lindskoog's newsletter _The Lewis Legacy_. One is that Mike Perry will be
      publishing this year his chronology of _The Lord of the Rings_, which will be
      called _Untangling Tolkien_. If you recall, we discussed this last year on
      this mailing list. The Tolkien estate attempted to stop the publication of his
      chronology on the basis that it wasn't any more than a slight re-arrangement of
      Tolkien's works. Perry fought this on the basis that in fact his book was
      much more than that. _The Lewis Legacy_ doesn't say anything about how the
      issues were resolved except that there was an out-of-court settlement.

      There was a book published last year called _Inklings: Book One of the Oxford
      Chronicles by Melanie M. Jeschke. The descriptions I have seen (just Google
      on the author's name and the title for some of them) make it sound like it's
      an attempt to take the story of _Shadowlands_ and make it into a series of
      romance novels. Yeah, that sounds sort of weird and ooky to me too. It's
      something about the romance between a young American woman who's come to Oxford to
      study and her tutor, with an English lord thrown in to act as the other leg of a
      romantic triangle.

      Little Lea, Lewis's childhood home, is on sale. Hey, how about we all
      combine our resources and buy the place to preserve it? It's only about a million
      British pounds.

    • David S Bratman
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 7, 2003
        At 01:29 PM 9/7/2003 -0400, WendellWag@... wrote:

        >One is that Mike Perry will be
        >publishing this year his chronology of _The Lord of the Rings_, which will be
        >called _Untangling Tolkien_. If you recall, we discussed this last year on
        >this mailing list. The Tolkien estate attempted to stop the publication
        >of his
        >chronology on the basis that it wasn't any more than a slight
        >re-arrangement of
        >Tolkien's works. Perry fought this on the basis that in fact his book was
        >much more than that. _The Lewis Legacy_ doesn't say anything about how the
        >issues were resolved except that there was an out-of-court settlement.

        There's a news report here:
        http://www.tolkienonline.com/docs/12876.html

        It quotes from a joint statement by Perry and the Tolkien estate: "As Mr
        Perry has substantially changed the book, the estate has withdrawn its
        objection to publication of the book, but does not approve or in any way
        endorse the book as published."

        Anyone who's interested in sorting out the detailed internal chronology of
        events in Tolkien's stories should take a look at this:
        http://www.chronology.org/tolkien/

        It's a meticulously detailed page-by-page breakdown of LOTR, The Hobbit,
        The Silmarillion, and Unfinished Tales into chunks arranged in strict
        internal chronological order. (Or so it says: I haven't really checked it
        out.)

        >There was a book published last year called _Inklings: Book One of the Oxford
        >Chronicles by Melanie M. Jeschke. The descriptions I have seen (just Google
        >on the author's name and the title for some of them) make it sound like it's
        >an attempt to take the story of _Shadowlands_ and make it into a series of
        >romance novels.

        Doing so gives the impression that the book is intended for a teenage
        audience, and is marketed largely through Christian bookstores. My
        immediate question about the novel is, how do the actual Inklings fit into
        the plot? The answer is, tangentially. The clearest description, at
        http://www.xulonpress.com/bookstore/titles/1931232849.htm, says that the
        story is set in 1964, the romantic hero is "a young lecturer who carries on
        the legacy of his friend and mentor C.S. Lewis to a new generation of
        students," and that Tolkien makes a cameo appearance. (Also, Lord David
        Cecil solves a crime at the heroine's college, and the ghost of Williams is
        wandering around Oxford, not realizing it's dead. <g>)

        >Little Lea, Lewis's childhood home, is on sale. Hey, how about we all
        >combine our resources and buy the place to preserve it? It's only about a
        >million
        >British pounds.

        I thought Little Lea had been torn down, or at least remodeled to the point
        of unrecognizability, many years ago. But maybe I'm misremembering something.

        - David Bratman
      • Stolzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 7, 2003
          In a message dated 9/7/2003 12:33:05 PM Central Daylight Time,
          WendellWag@... writes:

          > Little Lea, Lewis's childhood home, is on sale.

          I was looking at a photo of Little Lea just the other day in ALL MY ROAD
          BEFORE ME, and agreeing heartily with Lewis' own remark in SURPRISED BY JOY that
          his father was cheated by the builder.

          The front is the ugliest, most barren example of non-architecture you could
          hope to see on such a large and expensive house. And I don't think it's the
          taste of the period, I think it's just an example of Albert Lewis' hopeless
          talent for getting things wrong.

          Diamond Proudbrook