Andromeda

  • darancgrissom@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 5, 2003
      I have recently begun work on an essay that talks about the series Gene
      Roddenbery's "Andromeda." This television show is, in my opinion, quite
      good, despite some production problems and cost cutting special effects
      reusage. My question, which is rather open, is how does the members of this
      list, those that have seen it, feel about it? Mostly in regards the
      character types selected for the main cast; Dylan Hunt, Becka Valentine,
      Trans Gemini, etc. I know that a few people on this list are Babylon 5
      fans. Please do not compare in that I know that show was better. Please
      feel free to compare it to any other sci fi show past or present
    • dianejoy@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 8, 2003
        It has some interesting characters, most notably, Trance, Andromeda, and
        that gorgeous Nietzschean HUNK. (Whose name promptly went down a hole in
        my seive of a memory.) Dylan Hunt is pretty standard stuff; He's only
        interesting insofar as how to he reacts to other characters with more color
        and life. (Somewhere, they fell into the false notion that captains MUST be
        dull. Wrong.)

        Good premise, and the enemies are varied and interesting culturally.
        Though I stopped watching this year; eps became less interesting, except
        there was a final show down with the Nietzschean HUNK. Don't know how that
        ended. Nor do I know if it's been renewed. --djb

        http://mail2web.com/ .
      • darancgrissom@sbcglobal.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 8, 2003
          It was't renewed. Its original contract was for three years, of which this
          year is the third. However, given its status as the number one sci fi show
          in the world it will probably continue for at least a fourth.
          In trying to write about them as characters the most interesting one I have
          found was Andromeda. The idea of a ship as a character and member of the
          crew is not new to science fiction, though giving it a personality and a
          voice all its own is. Lexa Doig, I think that's the actresses name, has
          done a wonderful job portraying what you'd think a warship made flesh would
          be like. I also like Trance Gemini in that she is science fiction. She
          represents an infinity of possible futures. good and bad, and is trying to
          direct the outcome of the "known worlds" to the perfect possible future she
          knows must be there but can't quite see. Oh, yes. The "Hunks" name is Tier
          Anasazi.

          I have recently begun work on an essay that talks about the series Gene
          Roddenbery's "Andromeda." This television show is, in my opinion, quite
          good, despite some production problems and cost cutting special effects
          reusage. My question, which is rather open, is how does the members of
          this
          list, those that have seen it, feel about it? Mostly in regards the
          character types selected for the main cast; Dylan Hunt, Becka Valentine,
          Trans Gemini, etc. I know that a few people on this list are Babylon 5
          fans. Please do not compare in that I know that show was better. Please
          feel free to compare it to any other sci fi show past or present

          http://mail2web.com/ .

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Steve Schaper
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 8, 2003
            Daran,

            Andromeda started out with potential, until Minnesota native "Dylan
            Hunt" sent them packing for being too intelligent.

            Then there was a year when the scripts were just -horrible-, and they
            got rid of The Long Dark beginning, which has a nice tradition in SF.
            Hunt is the least interesting character, the others, including the
            departed Rev. BEM were much better.

            There were some signs that the story arc is back, and that is a good
            thing, but they are still using made up quotes at the beginning, instead
            of historical quotes that tied into the story and made you think, as
            they had previously done.

            The show is an interesting critique of Randroidism, but the only
            alternative they offer is the lame Trek humanism.
          • Bill

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 9, 2003
                Ack! How could I forget "Tir Anasazi?" I hate having memory holes! [DJB
                takes a moment to contemplate the image of Tir, sighs with contentment.]
                Ah, now I feel so much better!

                [Except you've got to consider what a total *Jerk* he would be to live
                with!]

                I, too, liked the idea of the ship as a character. I haven't figured
                Trance out yet; I'd love to see an ep which concentrates on her and shows
                us just what did happen when she changed! If I missed that this year, let
                me know.