Re: [mythsoc] Re: Tad Williams: The War of the Flowers

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 3, 2003
      In a message dated 9/3/2003 4:53:52 PM Central Daylight Time,
      keith@... writes:

      > Williams himself pointed out that there was quite a lot of "Theo" that
      > would resonate with him, though the book is in no way
      > autobiographical.

      If it's a guy, it's not a Mary Sue, right? ;)

    • SusanPal@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 3, 2003
        In a message dated 9/3/2003 8:11:42 PM Pacific Standard Time, Stolzi@...
        writes:

        > If it's a guy, it's not a Mary Sue, right? ;)

        That would make it a Marty Stu.

        SP

      • Berni Phillips
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 4, 2003
          From: <Stolzi@...>

          > In a message dated 9/3/2003 4:53:52 PM Central Daylight Time,
          > keith@... writes:
          >
          > > Williams himself pointed out that there was quite a lot of "Theo" that
          > > would resonate with him, though the book is in no way
          > > autobiographical.
          >
          > If it's a guy, it's not a Mary Sue, right? ;)

          If it's original universe, is it Mary Sue? I always associate them with not
          only wish fulfillment fiction but also playing in some already-established
          source like Star Trek or Darkover or what have you.

          Berni
        • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 4, 2003
            OK OK What is a Mary Sue ?

            Lizzie Triano
            lizziewriter@...
            amor vincit omnia
          • Berni Phillips
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 5, 2003
              From: "Elizabeth Apgar Triano" <lizziewriter@...>

              > OK OK What is a Mary Sue ?

              I see Wendell's already given you a link, but I'm feeling a little whimsical
              so I'll just sing:

              "She's beautiful! She's brilliant! She's an awful lot like me!
              She's smarter than Spock! She makes men flock --
              She's the writer's fantasy!"

              Berni