Re: [mythsoc] Tad Williams: The War of the Flowers

  • Jack
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 3, 2003
      >Actually, I didn't detest the book. I just found it way too long and thus it
      >became dry in places. Olaf (obviously) felt diff'tly about it.

      I looked at when it came into the Green Man mailroom -- I felt it suffered
      mainly from not being
      edited properly. There's a good story drowning into too long a novel!

    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 3, 2003
        In a message dated 9/3/2003 4:53:52 PM Central Daylight Time,
        keith@... writes:

        > Williams himself pointed out that there was quite a lot of "Theo" that
        > would resonate with him, though the book is in no way
        > autobiographical.

        If it's a guy, it's not a Mary Sue, right? ;)

      • SusanPal@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 3, 2003
          In a message dated 9/3/2003 8:11:42 PM Pacific Standard Time, Stolzi@...
          writes:

          > If it's a guy, it's not a Mary Sue, right? ;)

          That would make it a Marty Stu.

          SP

        • Berni Phillips
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 4, 2003
            From: <Stolzi@...>

            > In a message dated 9/3/2003 4:53:52 PM Central Daylight Time,
            > keith@... writes:
            >
            > > Williams himself pointed out that there was quite a lot of "Theo" that
            > > would resonate with him, though the book is in no way
            > > autobiographical.
            >
            > If it's a guy, it's not a Mary Sue, right? ;)

            If it's original universe, is it Mary Sue? I always associate them with not
            only wish fulfillment fiction but also playing in some already-established
            source like Star Trek or Darkover or what have you.

            Berni
          • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 4, 2003
              OK OK What is a Mary Sue ?

              Lizzie Triano
              lizziewriter@...
              amor vincit omnia
            • Berni Phillips
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 5, 2003
                From: "Elizabeth Apgar Triano" <lizziewriter@...>

                > OK OK What is a Mary Sue ?

                I see Wendell's already given you a link, but I'm feeling a little whimsical
                so I'll just sing:

                "She's beautiful! She's brilliant! She's an awful lot like me!
                She's smarter than Spock! She makes men flock --
                She's the writer's fantasy!"

                Berni