Re: Tad Williams: The War of the Flowers

  • Olaf Keith
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 3, 2003
      Williams himself pointed out that there was quite a lot of "Theo" that
      would resonate with him, though the book is in no way
      autobiographical.

      So, the resemblance is not a coincidance.

      Olaf
    • Matthew Winslow
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 3, 2003
        Stolzi@... [Stolzi@...] wrote:
        > Matt W, you know that WAR OF THE FLOWERS is one of our Butterbur's Woodshed
        > topics for the year to come?

        Yep. And I don't think it'll be a positive submission from me <g>.

        Actually, I didn't detest the book. I just found it way too long and thus it
        became dry in places. Olaf (obviously) felt diff'tly about it.

        "Where is the wisdom lost in knowledge? Where is the knowledge lost in
        information?"
        --T.S. Eliot
        Currently reading: The Wedge of Truth by Philip Johnson
      • Jack
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 3, 2003
          >Actually, I didn't detest the book. I just found it way too long and thus it
          >became dry in places. Olaf (obviously) felt diff'tly about it.

          I looked at when it came into the Green Man mailroom -- I felt it suffered
          mainly from not being
          edited properly. There's a good story drowning into too long a novel!

        • Stolzi@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 3, 2003
            In a message dated 9/3/2003 4:53:52 PM Central Daylight Time,
            keith@... writes:

            > Williams himself pointed out that there was quite a lot of "Theo" that
            > would resonate with him, though the book is in no way
            > autobiographical.

            If it's a guy, it's not a Mary Sue, right? ;)

          • SusanPal@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 3, 2003
              In a message dated 9/3/2003 8:11:42 PM Pacific Standard Time, Stolzi@...
              writes:

              > If it's a guy, it's not a Mary Sue, right? ;)

              That would make it a Marty Stu.

              SP

            • Berni Phillips
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 4, 2003
                From: <Stolzi@...>

                > In a message dated 9/3/2003 4:53:52 PM Central Daylight Time,
                > keith@... writes:
                >
                > > Williams himself pointed out that there was quite a lot of "Theo" that
                > > would resonate with him, though the book is in no way
                > > autobiographical.
                >
                > If it's a guy, it's not a Mary Sue, right? ;)

                If it's original universe, is it Mary Sue? I always associate them with not
                only wish fulfillment fiction but also playing in some already-established
                source like Star Trek or Darkover or what have you.

                Berni
              • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 4, 2003
                  OK OK What is a Mary Sue ?

                  Lizzie Triano
                  lizziewriter@...
                  amor vincit omnia
                • Berni Phillips
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 5, 2003
                    From: "Elizabeth Apgar Triano" <lizziewriter@...>

                    > OK OK What is a Mary Sue ?

                    I see Wendell's already given you a link, but I'm feeling a little whimsical
                    so I'll just sing:

                    "She's beautiful! She's brilliant! She's an awful lot like me!
                    She's smarter than Spock! She makes men flock --
                    She's the writer's fantasy!"

                    Berni