Re: [mythsoc] Tad Williams: The War of the Flowers

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 3, 2003
      In a message dated 9/3/2003 7:54:25 AM Central Daylight Time,
      keith@... writes:

      > Theo Vilmos

      This name sounds extraordinarily like the name "Tad Williams," I note.

      Matt W, you know that WAR OF THE FLOWERS is one of our Butterbur's Woodshed
      topics for the year to come?

      Diamond Proudbrook

    • Olaf Keith
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 3, 2003
        Williams himself pointed out that there was quite a lot of "Theo" that
        would resonate with him, though the book is in no way
        autobiographical.

        So, the resemblance is not a coincidance.

        Olaf
      • Matthew Winslow
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 3, 2003
          Stolzi@... [Stolzi@...] wrote:
          > Matt W, you know that WAR OF THE FLOWERS is one of our Butterbur's Woodshed
          > topics for the year to come?

          Yep. And I don't think it'll be a positive submission from me <g>.

          Actually, I didn't detest the book. I just found it way too long and thus it
          became dry in places. Olaf (obviously) felt diff'tly about it.

          "Where is the wisdom lost in knowledge? Where is the knowledge lost in
          information?"
          --T.S. Eliot
          Currently reading: The Wedge of Truth by Philip Johnson
        • Jack
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 3, 2003
            >Actually, I didn't detest the book. I just found it way too long and thus it
            >became dry in places. Olaf (obviously) felt diff'tly about it.

            I looked at when it came into the Green Man mailroom -- I felt it suffered
            mainly from not being
            edited properly. There's a good story drowning into too long a novel!

          • Stolzi@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 3, 2003
              In a message dated 9/3/2003 4:53:52 PM Central Daylight Time,
              keith@... writes:

              > Williams himself pointed out that there was quite a lot of "Theo" that
              > would resonate with him, though the book is in no way
              > autobiographical.

              If it's a guy, it's not a Mary Sue, right? ;)

            • SusanPal@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 3, 2003
                In a message dated 9/3/2003 8:11:42 PM Pacific Standard Time, Stolzi@...
                writes:

                > If it's a guy, it's not a Mary Sue, right? ;)

                That would make it a Marty Stu.

                SP

              • Berni Phillips
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 4, 2003
                  From: <Stolzi@...>

                  > In a message dated 9/3/2003 4:53:52 PM Central Daylight Time,
                  > keith@... writes:
                  >
                  > > Williams himself pointed out that there was quite a lot of "Theo" that
                  > > would resonate with him, though the book is in no way
                  > > autobiographical.
                  >
                  > If it's a guy, it's not a Mary Sue, right? ;)

                  If it's original universe, is it Mary Sue? I always associate them with not
                  only wish fulfillment fiction but also playing in some already-established
                  source like Star Trek or Darkover or what have you.

                  Berni
                • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 4, 2003
                    OK OK What is a Mary Sue ?

                    Lizzie Triano
                    lizziewriter@...
                    amor vincit omnia
                  • Berni Phillips
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 5, 2003
                      From: "Elizabeth Apgar Triano" <lizziewriter@...>

                      > OK OK What is a Mary Sue ?

                      I see Wendell's already given you a link, but I'm feeling a little whimsical
                      so I'll just sing:

                      "She's beautiful! She's brilliant! She's an awful lot like me!
                      She's smarter than Spock! She makes men flock --
                      She's the writer's fantasy!"

                      Berni