Re: Tad Williams: The War of the Flowers

  • Olaf Keith
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 3, 2003
      Well, I disagree with your review, as do many other reviewers and
      readers, but I see your points and I understand your criticisms. I
      just don´t share them.

      Olaf Keith
    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 3, 2003
        In a message dated 9/3/2003 7:54:25 AM Central Daylight Time,
        keith@... writes:

        > Theo Vilmos

        This name sounds extraordinarily like the name "Tad Williams," I note.

        Matt W, you know that WAR OF THE FLOWERS is one of our Butterbur's Woodshed
        topics for the year to come?

        Diamond Proudbrook

      • Olaf Keith
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 3, 2003
          Williams himself pointed out that there was quite a lot of "Theo" that
          would resonate with him, though the book is in no way
          autobiographical.

          So, the resemblance is not a coincidance.

          Olaf
        • Matthew Winslow
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 3, 2003
            Stolzi@... [Stolzi@...] wrote:
            > Matt W, you know that WAR OF THE FLOWERS is one of our Butterbur's Woodshed
            > topics for the year to come?

            Yep. And I don't think it'll be a positive submission from me <g>.

            Actually, I didn't detest the book. I just found it way too long and thus it
            became dry in places. Olaf (obviously) felt diff'tly about it.

            "Where is the wisdom lost in knowledge? Where is the knowledge lost in
            information?"
            --T.S. Eliot
            Currently reading: The Wedge of Truth by Philip Johnson
          • Jack
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 3, 2003
              >Actually, I didn't detest the book. I just found it way too long and thus it
              >became dry in places. Olaf (obviously) felt diff'tly about it.

              I looked at when it came into the Green Man mailroom -- I felt it suffered
              mainly from not being
              edited properly. There's a good story drowning into too long a novel!

            • Stolzi@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 3, 2003
                In a message dated 9/3/2003 4:53:52 PM Central Daylight Time,
                keith@... writes:

                > Williams himself pointed out that there was quite a lot of "Theo" that
                > would resonate with him, though the book is in no way
                > autobiographical.

                If it's a guy, it's not a Mary Sue, right? ;)

              • SusanPal@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 3, 2003
                  In a message dated 9/3/2003 8:11:42 PM Pacific Standard Time, Stolzi@...
                  writes:

                  > If it's a guy, it's not a Mary Sue, right? ;)

                  That would make it a Marty Stu.

                  SP

                • Berni Phillips
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 4, 2003
                    From: <Stolzi@...>

                    > In a message dated 9/3/2003 4:53:52 PM Central Daylight Time,
                    > keith@... writes:
                    >
                    > > Williams himself pointed out that there was quite a lot of "Theo" that
                    > > would resonate with him, though the book is in no way
                    > > autobiographical.
                    >
                    > If it's a guy, it's not a Mary Sue, right? ;)

                    If it's original universe, is it Mary Sue? I always associate them with not
                    only wish fulfillment fiction but also playing in some already-established
                    source like Star Trek or Darkover or what have you.

                    Berni
                  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 4, 2003
                      OK OK What is a Mary Sue ?

                      Lizzie Triano
                      lizziewriter@...
                      amor vincit omnia
                    • Berni Phillips
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 5, 2003
                        From: "Elizabeth Apgar Triano" <lizziewriter@...>

                        > OK OK What is a Mary Sue ?

                        I see Wendell's already given you a link, but I'm feeling a little whimsical
                        so I'll just sing:

                        "She's beautiful! She's brilliant! She's an awful lot like me!
                        She's smarter than Spock! She makes men flock --
                        She's the writer's fantasy!"

                        Berni