Re: [mythsoc] Digest Number 1347

  • Steve Schaper
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2003
      One comment made in the extras was how they filmed many scenes that
      didn't make it into the movie, but that Jackson said "that's ok, they
      will be in the DVD"

      From that and other bits it sounds like many of the mood-setting and
      explanatory scenes were intentionally cut from the theatrical releases
      and saved for the DVD. I know I was -much- happier with the extended
      version of FotR. This may be the case with TT as well. And perhaps we
      can skip the part where Sam naturally has to say, in Osgilliath "Mr.
      Frodo, I don't think Professor Tolkien ever intended us to be here"

      It is sad that Jackson doesn't seem to know how to convey fear and dread
      through lighting and music. The flying ringwraiths lack that conveyance
      of abject terror that was their chief weapon, so they have to fly in the
      ground clutter and directly attack, rather than having grown men cower
      in fear when they are at angels 10.
    • JP Massar
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2003
        At 09:41 AM 9/2/03, you wrote:
        >One comment made in the extras was how they filmed many scenes that
        >didn't make it into the movie, but that Jackson said "that's ok, they
        >will be in the DVD"
        >
        > From that and other bits it sounds like many of the mood-setting and
        >explanatory scenes were intentionally cut from the theatrical releases
        >and saved for the DVD. I know I was -much- happier with the extended
        >version of FotR. This may be the case with TT as well. And perhaps we
        >can skip the part where Sam naturally has to say, in Osgilliath "Mr.
        >Frodo, I don't think Professor Tolkien ever intended us to be here"

        I've wondered whether that line ('By all rights we shouldn't even be here')
        was some kind of inside joke or even a protest against the script changes
        that someone managed to keep in because it sort of fits and yet has an
        obvious double meaning.

        >It is sad that Jackson doesn't seem to know how to convey fear and dread
        >through lighting and music. The flying ringwraiths lack that conveyance
        >of abject terror that was their chief weapon, so they have to fly in the
        >ground clutter and directly attack, rather than having grown men cower
        >in fear when they are at angels 10.

        TTT shows the soldier of Gondor cowering in Osgiliath as the Nazgul flies
        overhead