Sir Wilfred Thesiger

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 27 10:01 AM
      There's an obituary in today's Guardian of explorer, author, and
      photographer Sir Wilfred Thesiger (b. 1910):

      http://www.guardian.co.uk/obituaries/story/0,3604,1029756,00.html

      They also provide some extracts from his autobiography:

      http://books.guardian.co.uk/extracts/story/0,6761,1029978,00.html

      Reading some of these comments and quotes will no doubt remind all of
      us of Tolkien. For example:

      "He reserved the word 'abomination' for cars and aeroplanes, and all
      his life resented the intrusion of any innovation post-dating the steam
      engine."

      "He resented the juggernaut of western 'civilisation' and its
      inexorable movement to squash what he believed was the colour and
      diversity of the earth's peoples."

      "... [Thesiger] told me, the wild world of mountains, deserts, starlit
      skies and fierce tribes people he adored was all but dead."

      "In July 1969, I [Thesiger] happened to be in Kenya, on the shore of
      Lake Rudolf, when I heard with incredulity from a naked Turkana
      fisherman that the 'Wazungu' - as he called Europeans, including
      Americans - had landed on the moon. He had heard the news at a distant
      mission station. To him this achievement, being incomprehensible, was
      without significance; it filled me, however, with a sense of
      desecration, and of despair at the deadly technical ingenuity of modern
      man.
      Even as a boy I recognised that motor transport and aeroplanes must
      increasingly shrink the world and irrevocably destroy its fascinating
      diversity. My forebodings have been amply fulfilled. Package tours now
      invade the privacy of the remotest villages; the transistor, blaring
      pop music, has usurped the place of the tribal bard."

      ho bios brachys, he de techne makre.
      Ars longa, vita brevis.