New anthology--shameless plug

  • Douglas A. Anderson
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 26, 2003
      Just for the group's info:

      Today is the official publication date of my new book, an anthology called:
      TALES BEFORE TOLKIEN: THE ROOTS OF MODERN FANTASY, published by Ballantine
      Books in the US in both hardcover and trade paperback. I'll post a table of
      contents here, and hope that's not too much of an indulgence. All stories
      are previously published, save for the fairy play by David Lindsay (author
      of A VOYAGE TO ARCTURUS) which appears in print for the first time. The
      book has a sort of dual aim-- to reprint rare stories that specifically
      inspired Tolkien, and to represent the field as it was before The Hobbit was
      published in 1937.

      Doug A.

      Introduction
      "The Elves" by Ludwig Tieck
      "The Golden Key" by George Macdonald
      "Puss-Cat Mew" by E. H. Knatchbull-Hugessen
      "The Griffin and the Minor Canon" by Frank R. Stockton
      "The Demon Pope" by Richard Garnett
      "The Story of Sigurd" by Andrew Lang
      "The Folk of the Mountain Door" by William Morris
      "Black Heart and White Heart" by H. Rider Haggard
      "The Dragon Tamers" by E. Nesbit
      "The Far Islands" by John Buchan
      "The Drawn Arrow" by Clemence Housman
      "The Enchanted Buffalo" by L. Frank Baum
      "Chu-bu and Sheemish" by Lord Dunsany
      "The Baumoff Explosive" by William Hope Hodgson
      "The Regent of the North" by Kenneth Morris
      "The Coming of the Terror" by Arthur Machen
      "The Elf Trap" by Francis Stevens
      "The Thin Queen of Elfhame" by James Branch Cabell
      "The Woman of the Wood" by A. Merritt
      "Golithos the Ogre" by E. A. Wyke-Smith
      [extract from THE MARVELLOUS LAND OF SNERGS]
      "The Story of Alwina" by Austin Tappan Wright
      "A Christmas Play" by David Lindsay
      Author Notes and Recommended Reading [ten pages]
    • Berni Phillips
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 26, 2003
        From: "Douglas A. Anderson" <nodens@...>

        > Today is the official publication date of my new book, an anthology
        called:
        > TALES BEFORE TOLKIEN: THE ROOTS OF MODERN FANTASY, published by
        Ballantine
        > Books in the US in both hardcover and trade paperback.

        Yay! I know the hubby will be picking this up.

        > "The Dragon Tamers" by E. Nesbit

        Oh, thank you! Nesbit was one of my favorite authors when I was a child.

        Berni
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 26, 2003
          In a message dated 8/26/2003 3:38:39 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          nodens@... writes:

          > The
          > book has a sort of dual aim-- to reprint rare stories that specifically
          > inspired Tolkien, and to represent the field as it was before The Hobbit was
          > published in 1937.
          >
          > Doug A.
          >
          > Introduction
          > "The Elves" by Ludwig Tieck
          > "The Golden Key" by George Macdonald
          > "Puss-Cat Mew" by E. H. Knatchbull-Hugessen
          > "The Griffin and the Minor Canon" by Frank R. Stockton
          > "The Demon Pope" by Richard Garnett
          > "The Story of Sigurd" by Andrew Lang
          > "The Folk of the Mountain Door" by William Morris
          > "Black Heart and White Heart" by H. Rider Haggard
          > "The Dragon Tamers" by E. Nesbit
          > "The Far Islands" by John Buchan
          > "The Drawn Arrow" by Clemence Housman
          > "The Enchanted Buffalo" by L. Frank Baum
          > "Chu-bu and Sheemish" by Lord Dunsany
          > "The Baumoff Explosive" by William Hope Hodgson
          > "The Regent of the North" by Kenneth Morris
          > "The Coming of the Terror" by Arthur Machen
          > "The Elf Trap" by Francis Stevens
          > "The Thin Queen of Elfhame" by James Branch Cabell
          > "The Woman of the Wood" by A. Merritt
          > "Golithos the Ogre" by E. A. Wyke-Smith
          > [extract from THE MARVELLOUS LAND OF SNERGS]
          > "The Story of Alwina" by Austin Tappan Wright
          > "A Christmas Play" by David Lindsay
          > Author Notes and Recommended Reading [ten pages]

          Um, Tolkien read Frank R. Stockton? L. Frank Baum? James Branch Cabell? A.
          Merritt? Austin Tappan Wright?

        • dianejoy@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 27, 2003
            That sounds really wonderful; congratulations on the new book! I'd like
            to have read some stories that inspired JRRT. ---djb

            http://mail2web.com/ .
          • alexeik@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 27, 2003
              In a message dated 8/26/3 7:38:32 PM, Doug Anderson wrote:

              <<Today is the official publication date of my new book, an anthology called:

              TALES BEFORE TOLKIEN: THE ROOTS OF MODERN FANTASY, published by Ballantine

              Books in the US in both hardcover and trade paperback. >>

              It sounds like a wonderful anthology, and I look forward to getting it. One
              thing I've been curious about, though, ever since the table of contents
              appeared in _BW_: why the inclusion of the Ludwig Tieck story, as the only
              non-English work? It might give the impression that modern fantasy is almost entirely an
              English-language phenomenon (and one could defensibly say that a certain
              tradition within it is), with very few exceptions. Or were you intending to give a
              single illustration of what was around *before* modern fantasy in English,
              and rooting the entire tradition in German Romanticism (which I suppose is also
              defensible, although I think the French literary fairy tale tradition played a
              major role as well)?
              Alexei
            • David S. Bratman
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 27, 2003
                At 07:05 PM 8/26/2003 , WendellWag@... wrote:
                >Um, Tolkien read Frank R. Stockton? L. Frank Baum? James Branch Cabell? A.
                >Merritt? Austin Tappan Wright?

                Seems to me that Doug addressed this in his post to which you're replying.

                nodens@... writes:

                >The
                >book has a sort of dual aim-- to reprint rare stories that specifically
                >inspired Tolkien, and to represent the field as it was before The Hobbit was
                >published in 1937.

                Whether he read a given story or not, it represents the fantasy field in
                which he worked.

                - David Bratman