Re: Griffins, griffins ggg "gryphons"

  • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 26, 1999
      Why are you so fond of griffins/gryphons, Lizzie?

      In a message dated 12/26/99 4:24:36 PM Central Standard Time,
      ERATRIANO@... writes:

      > anyone get any good books for Christmas?

      The only book I got was one about praying with icons which is not to
      everyone's taste of course.

      Son's fiancee got a great-looking book, THE NUMBER DEVIL, I wish I could
      pinch it from her and read - but they leave tomorrow :(
    • Steve
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 26, 1999
        On Sun, 26 Dec 1999, you wrote:
        > From: ERATRIANO@...
        >

        > anyone get any good books for Christmas?

        The Ted Nasmith illustrated Silmarillion, Myths and Legends of Brittain, The
        Rise of Christendom, and The Pity of War
      • ERATRIANO@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 27, 1999
          In a message dated 12/26/1999 10:52:01 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          Stolzi@... writes:

          << Why are you so fond of griffins/gryphons, Lizzie? >>
          You mean besides a normal love for mythical animals? oh, early impression...
          there was an article in Ranger Rick around 1970, when I was first discovering
          mythical stuff in elementary school... they had a lovely picture of a
          griffin, and a blurb, also, others that stayed wtih me, the basilisk and the
          Succarath (sp?) or Su (I always just thought of Su), as well as a wierd
          gorgon, looked like an armored, drooling buffalo, and I can't remember what
          else.

          Lizzie
        • ERATRIANO@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 27, 1999
            Stolzi@... writes:

            << Why are you so fond of griffins/gryphons, Lizzie? >>
            Why do you ask, Mary? What do you like?

            Lizzie
          • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 27, 1999
              In a message dated 12/27/99 7:01:19 AM Central Standard Time,
              ERATRIANO@... writes:

              > << Why are you so fond of griffins/gryphons, Lizzie? >>
              > Why do you ask, Mary? What do you like?

              Just out of curiosity. I've known people who loved dragons, or unicorns, but
              not griffins. I don't know that I have any particular preference of this
              kind.

              Mary S
            • ERATRIANO@xxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 27, 1999
                In a message dated 12/27/1999 11:08:33 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                Stolzi@... writes:

                << I've known people who loved dragons, or unicorns, but
                not griffins. I don't know that I have any particular preference of this
                kind. >>
                Oh, well, I should mention that Griffins aren't my First choice.. they are
                just popping up in my life all of a sudden, kind of, again. I like most of
                the mythical beasties, plus a few D&D critters I suspect don't exist in real
                mythology, plus of course my own creations and pastiches (is that the word?).

                Lizzie
              • Diane Baker
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 27, 2000

                  Steve wrote:

                  > From: Steve <sschaper@...>
                  >
                  > On Sun, 26 Dec 1999, you wrote:
                  > > From: ERATRIANO@...
                  > >

                  > > anyone get any good books for Christmas?
                  > >

                  > The Ted Nasmith illustrated Silmarillion, Myths and Legends of Brittain, The
                  > Rise of Christendom, and The Pity of War
                  All look marvelous, though I'd be most interested in the first two.
                  Ted Nasmith is incredibly good. ---djb.