Re: [mythsoc] Fwd: a question about Shadowlands

  • Matthew Winslow
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 21, 2003
      David S Bratman [dbratman@...] wrote:
      > What Wendell said. Lewis's "friends" in Shadowlands are completely unlike
      > the Inklings. For one thing, they scoff at his love of religion and
      > fantasy, and Christopher Riley, the (entirely fictional) character played
      > by John Wood in the theatrical version, who as a professor of English might
      > be presumed to be based on Tolkien, says he's an atheist, which of course
      > Tolkien was not, nor were any of the Inklings. And the clergyman character
      > was even worse.

      David adn Wendell,

      Thanks for responding. I saw Shadowlands once when it came out and was
      incredibly unimpressed. When my friend asked me the question, I could barely
      recall the movie. I guess it was truly a forgettable movie. Anyway, thanks.

      "I want to overhear passionate arguments about what we are and what we are
      doing and what we ought to do. I want to feel that art is an utterance made
      in good faith by one human being to another. I want to believe there are
      geniuses scheming to astonish the rest of us, just for the pleasure of it.
      I miss civilization, and I want it back."
      --Marilynne Robinson
      Currently reading: Illumination by Terry McGarry