Re: [mythsoc] Fwd: a question about Shadowlands

  • David S Bratman
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 21, 2003
      What Wendell said. Lewis's "friends" in Shadowlands are completely unlike
      the Inklings. For one thing, they scoff at his love of religion and
      fantasy, and Christopher Riley, the (entirely fictional) character played
      by John Wood in the theatrical version, who as a professor of English might
      be presumed to be based on Tolkien, says he's an atheist, which of course
      Tolkien was not, nor were any of the Inklings. And the clergyman character
      was even worse.

      In real life, Lewis had long since given up socializing with people like
      that, though he'd certainly met plenty. This may make for more conflict
      and better drama, but it's entirely unrelated to reality. I'm sure that
      Shadowlands was written that way because the author wanted to write it that
      way, not because of legal constraints. I don't even know if the author had
      permission from the Lewis estate, let alone anything else, to write it:
      neither the stage play publication nor the novelization contain any notice
      to that effect that I could find.

      - David Bratman

      At 04:34 PM 8/20/2003 -0500, Matthew Winslow wrote:
      >A friend posed the following question. Anyone know the answer?

    • Matthew Winslow
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 21, 2003
        David S Bratman [dbratman@...] wrote:
        > What Wendell said. Lewis's "friends" in Shadowlands are completely unlike
        > the Inklings. For one thing, they scoff at his love of religion and
        > fantasy, and Christopher Riley, the (entirely fictional) character played
        > by John Wood in the theatrical version, who as a professor of English might
        > be presumed to be based on Tolkien, says he's an atheist, which of course
        > Tolkien was not, nor were any of the Inklings. And the clergyman character
        > was even worse.

        David adn Wendell,

        Thanks for responding. I saw Shadowlands once when it came out and was
        incredibly unimpressed. When my friend asked me the question, I could barely
        recall the movie. I guess it was truly a forgettable movie. Anyway, thanks.

        "I want to overhear passionate arguments about what we are and what we are
        doing and what we ought to do. I want to feel that art is an utterance made
        in good faith by one human being to another. I want to believe there are
        geniuses scheming to astonish the rest of us, just for the pleasure of it.
        I miss civilization, and I want it back."
        --Marilynne Robinson
        Currently reading: Illumination by Terry McGarry