Re: [mythsoc] Fwd: a question about Shadowlands

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 20, 2003
      Everybody is missing from Shadowlands. Except for Lewis, Davidman, Warren
      Lewis, and Douglas Gresham, there's not a single real person in any version of
      _Shadowlands_, I believe. Not in the TV movie version, nor in the play
      version, nor in the feature film version. Everybody is, at most, a composite
      character and usually just made up. Lewis would never have hung out with the boring
      group of friends he was given in _Shadowlands_. I don't know why this was
      done. Perhaps it made it easier to make up all the conversations.

    • David S Bratman
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 21, 2003
        What Wendell said. Lewis's "friends" in Shadowlands are completely unlike
        the Inklings. For one thing, they scoff at his love of religion and
        fantasy, and Christopher Riley, the (entirely fictional) character played
        by John Wood in the theatrical version, who as a professor of English might
        be presumed to be based on Tolkien, says he's an atheist, which of course
        Tolkien was not, nor were any of the Inklings. And the clergyman character
        was even worse.

        In real life, Lewis had long since given up socializing with people like
        that, though he'd certainly met plenty. This may make for more conflict
        and better drama, but it's entirely unrelated to reality. I'm sure that
        Shadowlands was written that way because the author wanted to write it that
        way, not because of legal constraints. I don't even know if the author had
        permission from the Lewis estate, let alone anything else, to write it:
        neither the stage play publication nor the novelization contain any notice
        to that effect that I could find.

        - David Bratman

        At 04:34 PM 8/20/2003 -0500, Matthew Winslow wrote:
        >A friend posed the following question. Anyone know the answer?

      • Matthew Winslow
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 21, 2003
          David S Bratman [dbratman@...] wrote:
          > What Wendell said. Lewis's "friends" in Shadowlands are completely unlike
          > the Inklings. For one thing, they scoff at his love of religion and
          > fantasy, and Christopher Riley, the (entirely fictional) character played
          > by John Wood in the theatrical version, who as a professor of English might
          > be presumed to be based on Tolkien, says he's an atheist, which of course
          > Tolkien was not, nor were any of the Inklings. And the clergyman character
          > was even worse.

          David adn Wendell,

          Thanks for responding. I saw Shadowlands once when it came out and was
          incredibly unimpressed. When my friend asked me the question, I could barely
          recall the movie. I guess it was truly a forgettable movie. Anyway, thanks.

          "I want to overhear passionate arguments about what we are and what we are
          doing and what we ought to do. I want to feel that art is an utterance made
          in good faith by one human being to another. I want to believe there are
          geniuses scheming to astonish the rest of us, just for the pleasure of it.
          I miss civilization, and I want it back."
          --Marilynne Robinson
          Currently reading: Illumination by Terry McGarry