9989RE: [mythsoc] Audio Books: Read or Listen?

  • Mari Dole
    Aug 16, 2003
      From: David S. Bratman [mailto:dbratman@...]
      Sent: Friday, August 15, 2003 2:17 PM
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Audio Books: Read or Listen?

      Mari Dole wrote of "reading" the audio book. My understanding is that
      this is customary usage in the blind community.

      - David Bratman

      Yes, it is. I think it's why those who produce audio books are often
      called narrators, not readers.

      I am one of a dwindling number of blind people who still use Braille,
      and there is a real pleasure in sitting down to read a book yourself,
      but Braille is bulky and Braille displays for the computer are still
      prohibitively expensive. On the other hand, if the narrator of an audio
      book is a good one, i.e. more than just competent, there is great
      pleasure in this way of reading. I think it is akin to the oral
      tradition. The least pleasurable, to me, is reading via a synthesized
      computer voice, but I will do it if there is no other option.

      Mari
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic