9867RE: [mythsoc] Mythopoeic Lit. Criticism Manual

  • David S. Bratman
    Aug 1, 2003
      At 08:33 AM 8/1/2003 , Janet wrote:
      >putting this together with the numinosity meter, the
      >turgometer, and a few comments from The Revenge of the Dwems might give us a
      >statement of critical philosophy useful for judging the awards, if nothing
      >else.

      But we don't all rank things by the same scale, or consider the scales of
      the same importance; that's the problem.

      I enjoyed appearing in "The Revenge of the Dwems," and was startled by how
      much a kick the audience got out of it, but I do not endorse all its
      opinions. I am not a post-modernist critic by any means, but I fancy that
      if one of them had actually written Post-Modernica's part, she'd have
      gotten a lot more solid licks in. The play's misunderstanding of what
      post-modernists actually stand for is strong enough to prove their point:
      reliable communication on subjective points is indeed impossible. The
      pizza metaphor (i.e. you expect the toppings you ordered from the pizza
      parlor, don't you?) was a most stinking red herring.

      - David Bratman
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic