9864Re: [mythsoc] More Mythcon Pictures

  • David S. Bratman
    Aug 1, 2003
      At 07:17 AM 8/1/2003 , Stolzi wrote:

      >But Joan, I thought you =liked= the movie! Those who passionately didn't -
      >notably Bratman and a few others

      For the Nth time, I don't hate the movie. I enjoyed the movie; I gave it a
      "B" grade as a movie. What I hate is what it did to Tolkien's story.

      >Grace had her moment for "Sieg Heil!" when the figures of the Kings showed
      up,
      >extending their hands;

      I think that at that point someone started to sing "Stop in the Name of
      Love," a joke previously essayed by Ellie Farrell.

      >Hugo Weaving had his lines from THE MATRIX supplied to him during the Council
      >of Elrond

      with "Mr. Baggins" instead of "Mr. Anderson," of course.

      Blending his Elrond with his Agent Smith is a joke that's been made fairly
      often, and I'm faintly puzzled as to why. I didn't see "The Matrix" until
      long after I saw "Fellowship," but now that I have, I don't see how they're
      particularly similar in looks or style, as far as two characters played by
      the same, fairly distinctive, actor go. I mean, I haven't seen any jokes
      comparing Saruman to previous Christopher Lee characters, for instance.
      Perhaps it's because these are the only roles people have seen Weaving in?

      >But it was perhaps Emily Rauscher who highlighted the evening. The second
      >time we saw the Ring gleaming at us in somebody's palm, she commented
      >puckishly
      >"It's still round!" I mean, what else is there to say about it? After
      that,
      >son John and others took it up and every time that dinged Ring reappeared -
      >"It's still round!"

      Was it Emily who started that? I couldn't remember. That became the theme
      comment of the evening, and even made it into the Drunken Hobbit song at
      closing ceremonies.

      - David Bratman
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic