9800Re: [mythsoc] A Greeting from Anne

  • SusanPal@aol.com
    Jul 16, 2003
      In a message dated 7/16/2003 2:24:46 PM Pacific Standard Time,
      dbratman@... writes:

      > That's a very nice idea, though it sure doesn't look like him ... and why
      > is he blowing soap bubbles from his pipe?

      He's obviously trying to top Gandalf in the smoke-blowing department.

      > There's several factual errors in the writeup, of which "He died in a rest
      > home" is a new one to me, though "As a scholar he lived at the margin of
      > society," which makes him sound like a beggar on the streets, is the most
      > baroque.

      Oh, I don't know. I think scholars are often considered marginal by the
      mainstream -- and poor JRRT was somewhat marginalized in the academy for writing
      fantasy, wouldn't he?

      I imagine he might have fits at seeing himself depicted in an icon, whether
      it looked like him or not. But I *really* liked the trees in the background,
      and I think he'd have liked them, too.