      From: Jack jack@...
      Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 11:05:42 -0400
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Clueless Reader

      >Um, is it just me, or did anyone else not receive the email that Wendell is
      >referring to? All I got was what Joan forwarded that had a brief comment
      from
      >Ms. Yolen, and not much more. Something that brief certainly could not
      produce
      >such insight into Ms. Yolen's thinking process.

      Here is is, courtest of JAne who tells me it's the first real hate mail
      she's ever gotten.

      ***

      The Pub Message Board
      [ Post a Response | The Pub Message Board ]

      My First REAL hate mail

      Posted by Jane Yolen on July 7, 2003, 2:09 am
      User logged in as: pen

      Thought you might be fascinated by this. And while I was tempted to
      write:" Dear Ms. Sims, I thought you should know that some crazy person has
      somehow gotten hold of your computer and has been sending out bizarre
      mail..." I didn't.

      Jane

      Ms. Yolen,
      I am currently about 30 pages into the piece of trash "book" that you
      have called "Sword of the Rightful King." Ôø‡I do not know where to start
      on my soon to be brutal criticism of this disgrace to literature.
      Ôø‡Firstly, what were you thinking changing the story of King Arthur? Ôø‡
      If you're going to change the story, then change the story, but make up
      your mind and don't steal character names to make your failure seem more
      impressive. Ôø‡Similarly, if you have decided to keep the same character
      names, then KEEP THE SAME CHARACTER NAMES. Ôø‡ I don't know if there was
      some ancient tale that told of Merlin's name being Merlinnus, but I really
      couldn't care less. Ôø‡Anyone who would read this book (or be forced to
      read this book in my case) would not know that Merlinnus was his real name.
      Ôø‡ In the event that you were just in a goofy mood and thought you'd have
      some fun with names, I think you are even more of a disgrace to young adult
      authors than I had before. Ôø‡I do not really see a very clear
      definition of what age group this filth should be applied to either.
      Ôø‡You say that it is a book intended for young adults, and I guess that
      you are probably pretty close, atleast you found a mean between the two
      ridiculous extremes I'm about to describe to you. Ôø‡ The writing style,
      type face, and crazilly large margins seem as if intended for young
      children, and maybe you have no control over the publishing, but you do
      have complete control (ignoring the influence of editors) Ôø‡over the sort
      of language used in the novel. Ôø‡ As opposed to the childish writing style
      employed in this trainwreck, I have already, by page 30, noticed several
      things that would not be appropriate for children under 16 to be reading in
      literature. Ôø‡I am referring obviously to your use of the word "damn"
      constantly, and your placing innappropriate, unnecessary, and really quite
      disgusting sexual themes where ever they can be put. Ôø‡ I am appalled to
      think of children who have read this shameful production of
      garbage and having been influence

      http://mail2web.com/ .