9133RE: [mythsoc] Reading lists

  • dianejoy@earthlink.net
    May 2, 2003
      Lisa:

      I couldn't find the Cybele tale either, but did find the Hoffman at the
      public library, and have a copy of Robinson from the SFBC. (I've seen
      copies of Robinson at the library, but Cincinnati is blessed with an
      extremely good library.)

      I've read about as much of Robinson as I can stand right now; not that
      it's so bad, but it's very dense, and takes a long time to absorb. I think
      I have at least the thrust of the book, enough to decide if it made my
      list. It didn't. Too much Message; though it deals with myths, it does so
      in a way that dismisses them. Not that the winner must always be
      pro-religion; but at least the author should respect myth and its power to
      move people and make some attempt to give life to myth, be it created or
      real. So far, Robinson seems to say that myths are mere spider webs, to be
      gotten out of the way before true progress can occur. The myths he deals
      with feel more like window dressing and costume than reality, for all the
      density of the book. I may be wrong, for I haven't finished the book.

      I received the *Fairy Feller's Master Stroke* yesterday, and have begun it;
      I should finish it in a day or so. A much easier read than Robinson.

      Let me know who would like it next; if not, I'll send it back to you along
      with my copy of Robinson, if you can't find it at the library. If you'd
      like the Robinson, and think you can get the gist before the deadline, I'll
      ship it up your way. ---djb