895Re: Elsie Dinsmore ?

  • David Lenander
    Dec 6, 1999
      I've been sick and busy and haven't kept up with this list very well, but a few
      years ago we had some discussion of Elsie Dinsmore in _Once Upon a Time_, the
      children's fantasy apa (no, we didn't think Elsie was a fantasy, at least not in
      our usual sense). Like Bernie, I liked the book when I read it in about 5th
      grade. I did read a couple of the sequels, too. My grandmother had recommended
      them, along with a book called _Merrylips_, which was a historical set in
      Commonwealth England, about a sweet little girl. I also liked Burnett's _A
      Little Princess_ and _Little Lord Fauntleroy_. But those books had a lot more
      character than Elsie, I'm afraid. I read most of the Beany Malone books about
      that time, too. I never could really believe in Elsie, though, because she was
      impossibly just too put upon and too good through it all. And all of her
      relatives, except for one cousin, were too uniformly horrible. Also, _Five Little
      Peppers_ (was there only one of those?).

      Berni Phillips wrote:

      > From: Berni Phillips <bernip@...>
      > ERATRIANO@... wrote:
      > > My question today is, has anyone heard of the Elsie Dinsmore books by Martha
      > > Finley?
      > >
      > > Lizzie "Princess Airhead"
      > (My e-mail connection would send for a day, so I'm posting a bit late on
      > this.)
      > I hesitate to admit this, but I loved _Elsie Dinsmore_ as a girl. I
      > felt akin to her in her spiritual struggles. What she was trying to be . . . .
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic