8900two questions about Tom Bombadil and Tree & Leaf

  • Vincent Ferré
    Apr 16, 2003
      Good evening,

      1) we are now revising the translation of The Adventures of Tom Bombadil, and I am wondering about the name of a Hobbit : Mrs. Bunce (in Perry the Winkle). according to Foster's Guide (58), this name is to be found in LoR too... but the index is of no help. Does anyone know where I could find the precise page of this occurrence ?

      2) in Christopher Tolkien's preface to Tree and Leaf, he mentions "seven versions" of "Mythopoeia" ; among them, "the first four texts begin 'He looks at trees' [...] (and the title of the earliest was 'Nisomythos : a long answer to a short nonsense')."
      does it mean that only 1 version bears that title ? I think that it is the right choice, but I'd rather not make a mistake

      many thanks in advance

      Vincent