8846Re: Re: [mythsoc] bilious

  • Joshua Kronengold
    Mar 27, 2003
      alexeik@... writes:
      >natural, even if there no longer is a monarchy. What David was alluding to, I
      >think, was the superficial tossing-about of traditional-sounding titles for
      >cheap effect, in fictional contexts where such a social system doesn't have
      >any plausible historical roots.

      Except that he's applying it to the Vorkosigan novels, where the
      social ssytem -does- have plausible historical roots (and where, in
      fact, a social revolution is occuring during the books, largely thanks
      to a single imported invention).

      > (And yes, _The Fall of the Kings_ is a fantastic book!) :-)

      It's very good. I don't, personally, like it as much as Swordspoint,
      but I certainly eargerly await other books about that suniverse from
      it's authors.

      Joshua Kronengold (mneme@...) "I've been teaching |\ _,,,--,,_ ,)
      --^--him...to live, to breathe, to walk, to sample the /,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'
      /\\joy on each road, and the sorrow at each turning. |,4- ) )-,_ ) /\
      /-\\\I'm sorry if I kept him out too late"--Vlad Taltos '---''(_/--' (_/-'
    • Show all 40 messages in this topic