871Re: Elsie Dinsmore ?

  • Berni Phillips
    Dec 5, 1999
      ERATRIANO@... wrote:

      > My question today is, has anyone heard of the Elsie Dinsmore books by Martha
      > Finley?
      >
      > Lizzie "Princess Airhead"

      (My e-mail connection would send for a day, so I'm posting a bit late on
      this.)

      I hesitate to admit this, but I loved _Elsie Dinsmore_ as a girl. I
      felt akin to her in her spiritual struggles. What she was trying to be
      was how good Catholic girls were supposed to be. (Elsie definitely
      wasn't Catholic, but it was the same root-out-all-traces-of-sin
      mentality I grew up with.)

      I didn't find out until I was an adult that there was a series. I found
      out that a childhood friend of mine -- her family had moved away in
      junior high and she moved back into the area as an adult and we ran into
      each other at a party --collected them. Ironically, she's an athiest,
      raised by athiests -- the last person you'd think to be reading Elsie
      Dinsmore. I had gotten her hooked on the first book. (For those of you
      who haven't read Elsie, she tries to be the perfect little Christian
      girl, the perfect goody-2-shoes who turns the other cheek all the time.)

      I no longer have the original (it was a cheap paperback that fell apart
      years ago due to all the re-readings). Hmmm, maybe I should look for it
      and the sequels?

      Berni Phillips

      P.S. to Khazad-dum: I promise *not* to read from it at the Reading &
      Eating Meeting!
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic