8275Mythcon size

    Feb 3, 2003
      In a message dated 2/3/2003 1:54:29 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      dbratman@... writes:

      > But it's not necessary at Potlatch and Mythcon, which both
      > run about 100-150 people, and finding smaller groups to talk with is
      > easy. At the Tolkien and Lewis centenary conferences, we had over 300
      > each, and thought they were huge.

      If I remember the numbers correctly, the largest Mythcon so far was the
      Tolkien Centenary Conference in Oxford in 1992, which had about 350 people.
      But that wasn't just a Mythcon. It was also an Oxenmoot, which is the
      Tolkien Society's annual meeting, and it got a lot of the continental
      European Tolkien people too. I believe the next largest was the 1987 one in
      Madison, which had about 300 people. I think that did so well because
      Christopher Tolkien was the guest. I believe that the two Wheaton Mythcons
      (in 1985 and 1998) and the Washington one in 1994 were a three-way tie for
      third place with about 250 people. The other 28 of the 33 Mythcons so far
      have been under 200 people. So if someone wants to come to a small, intimate
      con, Mythcon is your place.