7356Scouring

  • spark654@aol.com
    Jan 2, 2003
      Jackson's logic for dumping the scouring at the end is the same as his saving
      Shelob for ROTK. After the climactic actions and the destruction of the
      ring, it's too much for an audience to start building up all over again.

      This is entirely understandable according to current screenwriting patterns.
      Scripts are so formulaic, with the various books about screenwriting
      detailing the "beats" a script has to hit.

      I think the scouring could be included--even if briefly--but perhaps then
      Jackson would leave out material from earlier parts of the book. Some things
      have to give.

      I don't think Jackson's going with a "happily ever after" ending, though. I
      think it will be serious but not downbeat.

      Sparkdog