7351Re: [mythsoc] Re: What's your problem with the movie?

  • SusanPal@aol.com
    Jan 2, 2003
      In a message dated 1/2/2003 10:09:29 AM Pacific Standard Time, Stolzi@...
      writes:

      > I would say that the scriptwriters
      > believe in spreading a little kindness around, whereas Tolkien believed in
      > forgiveness and repentance, both in their fullest theological sense.

      Interesting -- seems to me that Tolkien's emphasis on Pity as a theological
      virtue *does* come across in the films, although perhaps more strongly in the
      first one. Gandalf's "pity and mercy" speech (moved from Bad End to Moria)
      is really played up, and in the second film, Frodo keeps the line from the
      book, "Now that I see [Gollum], I do pity him."

      Susan