7301Re: [mythsoc] Tolkien and technology

  • David S Bratman
    Jan 1, 2003
      At 01:55 PM 1/1/2003 -0500, Alexei wrote:

      >One should also note that the supposed "magic" of the Elves (like the
      >Silmarils, the palantíri, Galadriel's mirror, etc.) are really examples of a
      >very high technology, but one that isn't the product of an industrialised

      And one that can't be reduced to a simple scientific explanation either,
      one should also add. As Tolkien wrote, "I dislike any pull towards
      'scientification'. ... [This mode is] alien to my story." (The invaluable
      Letter no. 210 again, p. 274)

      - David Bratman
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic