7292Re: [mythsoc] Public response

  • alexeik@aol.com
    Jan 1, 2003
      In a message dated 1/1/3 3:45:22 AM, Sparkdog wrote:

      <<I can't even recall once where a movie version affected the public's
      to the book. I've never heard, or read of, someone saying "The book was a
      disappointment after seeing the movie."

      You're interpreting "response" in a very narrow way -- assuming it only
      refers to evaluation (ie, not liking the book as much as the movie, etc.). I
      think what was suggested is that the movie will determine how a reader will
      ever after see the characters and background in the book. To give an example,
      at last year's Mythcon there was a painting of Frodo and Sam in the art show
      that depicted them as looking essentially like Elijah Wood and Sean Astin. It
      is entirely possible that readers who come to the book after the movie will
      be unable to imagine those characters as looking like anything other than
      those actors, and that this will eventually become a convention -- a built-in
      tradition in Tolkien illustration, perhaps. The movie will definitely have
      restricted the potential scope of a reader's spontaneous imaginative response
      to Tolkien's words.
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic