7289Tolkien and technology

  • David S Bratman
    Jan 1, 2003
      Tolkien didn't hate technology, he hated industrialization. There's a
      difference. Any old hand-made farm tool is technology, it's just not
      technology made by mass industry. And his hatred for industrialization did
      not mean that he wanted England to return to a pre-industrial society, any
      more than my distaste for Jackson's desecrations means that I'm demanding
      the film be withdrawn and erased from our memories. In both cases: it's
      here, we'll live with it, but we don't have to like it, and we _can_
      protest its indiscriminate spread and its attacks on that which we hold dear.

      In the prologue to LOTR, Tolkien writes that hobbits "do not and did not
      understand or like machines more complicated than a forge-bellows, a
      water-mill, or a hand-loom, though they were skilful with tools," and in
      _The Hobbit_ he writes of their "long clever brown fingers." Hobbits got
      on very well with technology, just not industrialized technology.

      - David Bratman
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic