6621Re: [mythsoc] Shippey, France and probably other question

  • David S. Bratman
    Nov 13, 2002
      I think technically "langue d'oc", "Occitan", and "Provencal" (another name
      for the same language/region) mean slightly different things, but in
      practice they're synonyms.

      I've seen a few 19th-century books printed in this language, but it's not
      common. France is traditionally very harsh on its linguistic/cultural
      minorities - ask the Bretons. In this it differs sharply from Spain, where
      Catalan, though certainly looked down upon by high Castillans, flourishes
      and many books in it - and some other minority tongues - are published.
      (That Barcelona, capital of Catalonia, is also the center of Spain's
      book-publishing industry doesn't hurt.)

      Catalan comes to my mind in connection with Occitan, because the written
      languages both look (to my eye) like crosses between French and Spanish -
      but totally different crosses, quite distinct from each other. No doubt
      Alexei can say more about that.

      - David Bratman
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic