6560Re: [mythsoc] Mieville et al

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Oct 4 6:48 PM
      On Friday, October 4, 2002, at 09:19 PM, SusanPal@... wrote:

      > She was being given an opportunity to acknowledge
      > intellectual and creative debts -- to place herself in a community.
      > And she
      > claimed a community of one. Now, maybe if I'd heard the tone of her
      > voice
      > instead of merely reading the printed response, I'd have recognized it
      > as a
      > joke and laughed; impossible to say. But it came across very coldly
      > on the
      > printed page.

      If your reportage of what Le Guin was asked is accurate:

      >> I recently read an interview with Ursula K. Le Guin where she
      >> was asked what kind of science fiction she enjoyed reading and she
      >> said,
      >> "Mine."

      her response certainly doesn't seem cold to me. She was not asked
      _whose_ fiction she enjoyed reading, she was asked _what kind_ of
      fiction she enjoyed. It is hardly arrogant to point to her own work as
      exemplary of the _kind_ of fiction she likes.
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic