6536Re: [mythsoc] White Query

  • jamcconney@aol.com
    Oct 2 10:20 AM
      In a message dated 10/1/2002 9:43:14 PM Central Daylight Time,
      SusanPal@... writes:

      > I'm not sure I completely agree with him, but I do think
      > that the more style-sensitive the reader, the harder it is to divorce the
      > two.

      I agree. I'm one of the "style-sensitive readers" myself, and I could count
      any number of books that I've put down and never finished because the style
      was simply...what? ...offensive, painful, unreadable, what-have-you. But that
      is a matter of personal taste and enjoyment. I think one has to make a
      distinction between "this book isn't for me" and "this book is a rotten,
      no-good book, period." The point I was making is that
      I think Tolkien, as a scholar, would have been unwilling to make the second
      of these judgments on style alone.

      As a sort of tangential comment, there is one well-known fantasy writer whose
      early books I was unable to read for just the reasons given, but who has
      developed what seems to be a much better 'ear' and is now producing books I
      love--so sometimes it pays to give a writer a second chance.

      Anne