6535Re: [mythsoc] White Query

  • SusanPal@aol.com
    Oct 1, 2002
      In a message dated 10/1/2002 6:50:39 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
      jamcconney@... writes:

      > He might not have liked it, and wouldn't have
      > dreamed of using it himself, but would he have written off a story just
      > because of style?

      Well, David points out that JRRT liked Eddison despite stylistic differences.
      But if there's ever been a reader for whom style was nearly inseparable from
      content, it was Tolkien, and I can imagine that some of White's stylistic
      quirks might have been sufficiently distracting to severely compromise his
      enjoyment of the narrative. That happens to me -- sometimes I have such a
      style allergy to a story that I can't force myself to read it, even when I
      can tell that the plot's original and interesting -- and I'm probably far
      *less* sensitive to such things than Tolkien was.

      And the anachronism issue is one on which he had vehement ideological views,
      not simply stylistic tastes. See, for instance, Letter 171 (which,
      coincidentally, I'm having my class read for tomorrow). He might have
      acquitted White of the charge of "parochialism of time" on the grounds that
      White *did* use more ancient language in some scenes; but the "modern" ones
      surely would have been painful for him (and perhaps all the more so if he
      knew that White *could* write more authentic language when he chose).

      Samuel R. Delany has a wonderful essay in his collection THE JEWEL-HINGED JAW
      arguing that style and content aren't separable, that the distinction is a
      false dichotomy. I'm not sure I completely agree with him, but I do think
      that the more style-sensitive the reader, the harder it is to divorce the
      two.

      Susan