6534Re: [mythsoc] White Query

  • jamcconney@aol.com
    Oct 1, 2002
      In a message dated 10/1/2002 7:40:16 PM Central Daylight Time,
      dbratman@... writes:

      > >I strongly suspect that Tolkien would have been appalled by THE
      > >ONCE AND FUTURE KING on a tremendous number of stylistic levels, most
      > notably
      > >anachronistic language and authorial intrusion.

      I really have some trouble imagining that Tolkien would have been 'appalled'
      by a writer's chosen style. He might not have liked it, and wouldn't have
      dreamed of using it himself, but would he have written off a story just
      because of style? I don't like "anachronistic language and authorial
      intrusion" either--but I've read some very good stories where they were
      intentionally used with good effect.

      Anne