6187Bo Hansson's _The Lord of the Rings_

    Jul 10, 2002
      I just listened to an album of music called _The Lord of the Rings_ recorded
      in 1969 by a Swedish musician named Bo Hansson. Has anyone else ever
      listened to this? It's instrumental music inspired by his reading of _The
      Lord of the Rings_, and each section is labeled by an incident from the book.
      I had heard of it several times over the years and decided to get it when it
      was rereleased this year.

      I don't get it. I don't find the music to be remotely Tolkien-like. I can't
      see any relationship between the music in each section and the event by which
      that section is labeled. I don't even find the music particularly enjoyable.
      It's rather bland and repetitious. Compared with this, Philip Glass is
      interesting and varied.