5744When the King Comes Home: SPOILER ALERT

  • Pauline J. Alama
    Apr 5, 2002
      SPOILER ALERT: if you haven't read _When the King Comes Home_, you may not want to read this.

      I would be interested in hearing David Lenander & Alexei talk more about _When the King Comes Home_ -- it might bring out something I may have missed. I felt very ambivalent about it. It drew me in immediately with excellent wordcraft and an engaging narrator with a very distinctive voice. The characters were very well drawn, and there were some beautiful moments, allusive symbols like the brook running milk as the king crosses, that sent my imagination running in all directions. However, in the end I was disappointed with it. None of the glimpses of wonder seemed to add up to anything. It was all for nothing; no resolution emerges. I don't think this was by accident, because it's elaborately foreshadowed: from the very beginning there's a tone of regret, we live in fallen times, things are not now as they were in my youth, etc. But I don't understand why. All these signs and wonders mean nothing. The king came back, but it was a mistake, and now he's gone, which is OK. Also, the end was not believable. They have no king, no priest-bishop, and the infamous lord who tried to use the king also falls. This is what we call a power vacuum, and it would be filled by something. Look at real-life Afghanistan, for crying out loud: there was a power vacuum which was filled by the Taliban. Now the Taliban are goine, and there's a power vacuum, and our country is trying to prop up an approved leader to fill it while a bunch of warlords are jockeying for position. No leader (or leading body) means every strongman sees the main chance, and you have endless war, not peace and decline to mediocrity. I know this is fantasy, but Stevermer declined to solve the problem of kingship by fantastical means (whether the historical king coming back to rule, the ailing king being healed, the new leader drawing the sword from the stone, or whatever), and that ought to require her to produce a naturalistic solution to the problem of government that runs through the plot. If you're not going to offer a magical solution, you have to have a natural solution-- like a war hero becoming the new king, or the people forming a sort of medieval Swiss proto-democracy--or else my suspension of disbelief gives up and goes home. I don't mean to beat up on Stevermer -- she kept me going for a good long time, and it wasn't until almost the last page that I started to think I wouldn't be voting for this after all. But I really don't understand why she brought things around to such a non-resolution of the problem of kingship that is, after all, proclaimed by the title to be a major theme of the book.

      Pauline J. Alama
      THE EYE OF NIGHT
      (Bantam Spectra, July 2002)
      "Indeed, all creation groans and is in labor, even until now."